Saturn Vue 3.5 V6 moisture sludge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a 2005 Saturn Vue with the Honda 3.5 V6, approx 11,000 kms, have done 3 oil changes with Mobile 1 5W30 (2,000 kms; 6,000kms and 10,000kms). My driving is 8km ( 5 miles) to work one way.When I unscrew the oil filler cap and put my finger inside around the rim, there is at least a couple of tablespoons of creamy sludge ( I know, short trips) and moisture droplets under the cap. This cream does not disappear after a 30 mile highway run. Could it be that the cold air hitting the front of the aluminum engine is preventing the rocker covers from getting warm enough to disolve this oil/water combo, or are these engines known for a poor PCV design. Appreciate any thoughts. Our weather in Ontario Canada has been a bit below freezing most of the winter.

Vintagegz,

I think that you probly have the same issue as I had with my 2005 Montana SV6. There is a direct path for outside air to flow under the hood and directly onto the top of the engine. In fact, last fall I noticed that I was beginning to collect bug splater on the top of the engine and on the firewall. In the rain, the plenum and front valve cover would be wet (poor design). I put wetherstripping on the inside of the hood to block this route of air flow. When it warms up again, I will remove it. I think that I will actually need this air flow in the summer.

My guess is that you are correct. The direct airflow is preventing the front valve cover from getting warm. Immediatly after a drive, touch it, see if it is hot.

vintagegz, I have the same Saturn Vue with the same Honda V6. Creamy sludge is not good as there is no anti-splash shield on this engine like other cars have. Auto-Rx is a good idea, but for continued use, I strongly suggest Lube Control. I've been using it since I've had 10K on our Vue (37K now), peeking through the oil cap, the interior of the engine is spotless! LC is quite easy to administer and makes little to no mess. LC will take care of this issue, assuming the vehicle sees full operating temperature from time to time...

There are a number of engine designs that develop this frothy "mayonaise" consistency of motor oil and water on cooler or insulated areas. It's the result of water vapor and oil vapor condensing on relatively cool parts - most often plastic oil fill tube extensions and plastic oil filler caps. Dumping snake oil products in will have NO effect, so save your money. Your roughly 4 3/4 mile one-way commutes in Canadian winters that result in insufficient warmup is an open invitation to this goop, but it's NOT real oil gelling (aka, "sludge"). Oil gelling is the result of oxidative processes that break down motor oil from high temperature operation - most often associated with too infrequent oil changes. Adhere to your owner's manual "severe service" maintenance schedule during the harsher winter and summer months. You and your motor will be fine.

ToyotaNSaturn, I know you are in a warmer climate, but if you actually put your finger in the hole and scoop to the left under the rocker, do you have any sludge? When I look down the hole everything looks shiny and clean until you actually put your finger in there. Which Lube Contol product are you using? Thanks for the reply.

I'm at 25,000 miles on one of these (2004) using Motorcraft 5W20 at 5000 mile interval changes (approx 6 months).
It has about the same duty cycle as vintagegz. Just did a change this weekend and the engine looks outstandingly clean thru the oil fill cap.
I know:
grin.gif
Ford oil/Honda engine/ GM chassis

why is auto-rx the solution for everything? this isnt even conventional slludge, its just moisture. you can change your oil, go out and really boot your car and change your oil again for less than the price of one autorx bottle.

I think the issue here is a lack of full operating temperature at only a 5 mile commute. With such a short drive in severe cold weather; you need to do a full warm up too 180F before leaving your residence. Do this and watch the "moisture cream" disappear.
wink.gif

I noticed this last winter with my parents 2002 Grand Am (3.4L engine). Only I had a long freeway commute with no traffic which would cause the white "sludge". When I would drive in city traffic and allow the engine to reach full operating temperature it would go away. Actually, when I would do my pure highway drives, you would be able to turn the car off pop the hood and touch the top of the engine... it was actually cold. If you let the car sit for a little, the top of the enigne warmed up (I guess heat transfered from the bottom of the engine).

You will be find with your car. Just do your oil changes often in the winter. Once it warms up the problem will disappear. If it doesn't, your problem isn't the condensation everyone is talking about.

Its a normal cold weather condition.If it bothers you once a week clean it off with a paper towl.A lot cheaper than adding snake oil or taking a 3 hour drive.
Spring is right around the corner....that will cure everything.

It's condensation from the cold weather. I had the same thing in my dakota 4.7 engine. It's no big deal. Check it again when the temp is warmer with higher underhood temps and you will not have it. NOTHING to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back