saturn ac not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this morning I drove my car and I turned the ac on to help clear the windshield. Well the ac wouldnt kick in I checked the fuse and relays they are good. Clutch isnt locked up so im thinking maybe its low on freon. I replaced the compressor 5 months ago with one from pick in pull. I dont think I replaced the orings on the lines if I remember right I forgot to pick them up and didnt realize it until I had it tore apart. It lasted all through summer and worked a couple weeks ago to. Ive been told the cold can make older systems leak. Is that true? If it is it maybe the orings leak in freezing temps? Would a stop leak and seal conditioner help? Any insight is appreciated.

The a/c will not operate at low temperatures - not below 32°F, or the evaporator will freeze from condensate in the summer. I guess we are confidant the thermal sensor is working properly.

In the winter, wait until the engine warms up and use the heat to defrost the windshield.

Hard to say. My neighbor thought his a/c wasn't working (that I fixed in the summer) until the weather warmed up and he found it was working fine.

Go ahead and give it a try. If it works - good. A/C should be exercised every now and then during the winter to make sure the shaft seal stays wet. It's the lubricant that works with the seal to keep refrigerant from leaking out.

It worked . It didnt until the car warmed up a little bit then it worked fine I never knew they wouldnt work in the cold before.

The temperature sensor is usually by the evaporator. The sensor probably saw enough heat from the heater core after it warmed up to allow a/c operation.

The minimum operating temp could be as high as 40F.
This is not enough to activate the low pressure switch [internal pressure drops when cold].
Engine heat can warm things up in the engine compartment, and it may work after driving it in cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back