Sanding grit for softer plastic headlights

I used a kit for restoring the headlights on a 2008 Chevy Truck. It has a large relatively flat surface and I found the sanding grit dug too far into the plastic and left some scars. Has anyone got an idea of which grits work well with the 2007-2013 Chev truck? Thanks.

I would start over and focus on your sanding technique. For plastic I try to DA sand as much as possible, wipe off debris frequently and replace sanding discs at the first sign of degradation. 500, 800, 1000 (damp), 3000 (damp) followed by wipe-on UV clear has been my approach.

After many hours 2 kits and the toothpaste trick on 02 F150 I came to realize that yellowed pitted oxidized plastic will never be clean and clear again. What you see on the videos are likely lenses with much less damage to begin with.

What i did was go on ebay and got some Chineseum knock offs that were crystal clear and decent quality. Installed in few minutes and worked perfectly. I also replaced the cheap included bulbs before install.

1000, then 1500 and final 2000 grit wet sand with plenty of water to keep the sanded plastic off while you hand sand it with a sponge works great for me.

I ended up using a DA, and ran a 1000, then 1500. I tried a 2000 but it didn’t seem to help. After the 1500 on the other side I polished it with Meguiar’s PlastX. Looks good. No big scratches. 1000,1500, PastX. Worked well on these soft plastic headlights on mu 2008 Suburban.

A360CCDB-A9C9-4C81-AF17-5726E3BE1126.jpeg

Last edited:
Got the Plasix in a kit with the UV wipe cream which didn't seem to like the rain this last time around. For the more indepth application next time I got Meguiar's Headlight coating in a aerosol can to try. I did get the aftermarket replacements as suggested previously for the winter beater, as less daylight. Bulbs on Rock Auto can be very affordable and if the shipping charge doesn't increase a nice option to shop. I use the garden hose and rinse frequently if sanding, but with a good supply of Plastix I haven't sanded lately.

Back