San Diego is, once again, a laughing stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had some real doozies as mayors in the last decade or so. In 2005, Time Magazine called our then mayor, **** Murphy, the worst mayor in the country. I think that was during the time San Diego was being called, "Enron by the sea," for some creative accounting measures used by pension fund administrators.

So now, we have Bob Filner, who is being accused of sexual harassment, and even sexual battery by a number (still growing) of women. On national TV shows, comedians are referring to the "Filner Headlock," whereby the mayor is said to bring women's heads close to his, to either kiss them or whisper suggestive comments into their ears, and the "Filner dance," the contortions employed by the women to escape. In fairness, Mayor Filner has, at this date, not been convicted in either criminal or civil court of any of these things.

Disclaimer: the mayoral race is theoretically a non-partisan election, though partisan politics have certainly entered into it on occasion. I voted for Murphy (though, in retrospect, I shouldn't have), and did not vote for Filner.

Don't count out Tony Villar - oh wait, you haven't heard of him? That would be Antonio Villaraigosa's birth name, which wasn't ethnic sounding enough, so he changed it to his now ex-wife's last name to appeal to voters. He's also failed the bar exam four times.
Bob Filner may be a creepy old man, but LA might have you beat on the incompetence scale.

"Stay classy San Diego"
laugh.gif

Canadian politician are getting equally ugly as well.

Scandal after scandal.

If it weren't for the entertainment value, our tax dollars would be completely wasted.

We just had a corrupt Mayor in Montreal, after 1 year, QUIT for fraud and mob ties, and was still given a "golden handshake".

I remember getting a jaywalking ticket there. In the crosswalk, no cars in site and a cop gives me one who was standing down the street a little ways. He told me the laws were the same there as they are in Ohio. Yeah, but Cleveland doesn't ticket you for it. I guess they really are strapped.

Jimmy Dimora(county commisioner), this HUGE fat guy here received 28 years in prison along with a lot of his cohorts for a bribery scheme, theft in office etc. No more eating 3 dinners in one sitting at the nicest reastuarants in town and having others pay for it. Or going to vegas and hooking up with call girls while the bribers pay for it.

http://www.cleveland.com/countyincrisis/index.ssf/2013/01/dimora_headed_to_serve_prison.html

I'v never heard of your mayors, so there is some far point beyond which your city's infamy is diluted.

My idiot governor makes comments about state reps needing vaseline, or that women might grow little beards because of trace hormones in the drinking water. He doodles little smiley faces next to his signature when he vetoes stuff.

So, I guess, just a creepy loudmouth.

Originally Posted By: dparm
As a lifetime Chicagoan/Illinoisan...I think you guys are getting off easy. :)

Do the rest of us a favor....you keep yours (obamination) and we'll keep ours!
eek.gif

In before lock.

Trust me, there are way worse government officials elsewhere. At least you don't get a governator or one that got thrown in jail for corruption charges, or a bankruptcy due to swap deals.

The horrible fact is there is a lot we do NOT know!

Simply put, we have got to get the money out of our government!

Carlos Danger rides again!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
The horrible fact is there is a lot we do NOT know!

Simply put, we have got to get the money out of our government!

Carlos Danger rides again!

You're missing the root cause of our problems, that the fact it shows up in government, or business is not the issue. The issue is that we have a crisis of ethics, morals, and character in
the the USA, and it just keeps getting worse because people refuse to look the ugly truth in the mirror. Our culture has been degenerating at an increasing pace, and yet what do you see? People spending 60/ week at work, watching the boob tube for more hours and the "programming" that is degenerate and mind numbing, and promotes selfish hedonism 24/7. Of course I won't go on about who controls most of our mass media.

Until we repair our putrifying national character, it will only get worse.

Originally Posted By: morepwr
But was the san diego mayor texting pictures of his "stuff" to people?

I'd rather have someone texting his "stuff" than driving a bankruptcy running financial swap deals that end up with a 100 year budget size debt.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

I'd rather have someone texting his "stuff" than driving a bankruptcy running financial swap deals that end up with a 100 year budget size debt.

You can't be serious. If you are this speaks volumes to the argument presented by antiqueshell above. A person who cares nothing about his Wife and child, and a Wife who is willing to 'sell' him to 18 million people as a great man for the job!

Horrific. Just like an iceberg, the part you see is not that big, but what you cannot see...

Last edited:
None of this is new. Its been going on for decades (abuse of power, harassment, etc). We just hear about things much easier with the internet, camera phones, etc. Until the next news cycle and its forgotten.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

The issue is that we have a crisis of ethics, morals, and character in the the USA, ...

Yep.

If government had less power, it wouldn't attract these scumbags, because most (all?) of them are narcissistic (sp?) losers that could never cut it in the real world. Their only shot at any power is to latch unto the public teat and hold unto for it dear life.

A government that yearns to control every facet of life and a dumbed down or indifferent citizenry will not end well.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: PandaBear

You can't be serious. If you are this speaks volumes to the argument presented by antiqueshell above. A person who cares nothing about his Wife and child, and a Wife who is willing to 'sell' him to 18 million people as a great man for the job!

Horrific. Just like an iceberg, the part you see is not that big, but what you cannot see...

No, I'm serious.

There are a lot of nice guys, great father, that drove organization completely to the ground. There are also quirky people that does not have any personal charisma (whether you like it or not being a great guy, great father, has nothing to do with work performance in an organization) end up being the better choice.

I'm not saying we should vote for a sex offender because what he did breaks the law. What I'm saying is, there can be much worse choices out there if you only look at how charming a candidate is. A guy cheating behind his wife (or attempted cheating, or in an open marriage, etc) has nothing to do with his work performance. The only concern I have is if there are enough dirty laundry he could be blackmailed, like Paula Dean was. There are also a lot of "great father, great husband" that has dirty laundry that could be blackmailed, so IMO the best I can do is to ignore these things and look at the more important aspect of the candidates when deciding who to vote for.

Now if you can find a great leader that has good charisma, that'll obviously be the better choice than this guy.

Anyways, regardless of what I think (being naughty is an independent personal trait from work performance and political stance), there will be enough of you that vote on "personal integrity" and charisma that this guy would be forced to drop out of the race.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back