Saginaw worm and roller steering box

I am rebuilding a 1950 Chevy steering box with the pitman arm pivoting on bronze bushings and the sector gear mounted on two roller bearings. By the end of the 1950's when this unit was still used in Corvettes the factory recommendation for lubricant was a 50/50 mix of 90 weight EP oil and chassis grease. Does anybody know of what is available today in synthetic lubes that would work in this box?

I would probably fill it with John Deere Corn Head grease and call it a day.
+1
  • Applications: Corn head gear cases, irrigation system, gear boxes and gear boxes requiring NLGI O grade grease
Its a very thin grease.

Reactions: D60
We had a 57 back in the day. We used a the highest quality chassis grease we could find. It held up well. You could actually mix something as they said - some chassis grease with just a little gear oil. It’s probably not going to be that picky.

I have read two different articles on rebuilding the Corvette steering boxes that were the same as the 1949-54 Chevy cars that recommend cv joint grease. Is there one brand that is better than the others when it comes to these greases?

This product is commonly used for steering boxes the in vintage Rover circles, me included,, High moly, good lubricant originally intended for Rover front axle swivel balls: One Shot

That said, corn head grease should be adequate.

Back