"Safety" spouts on gas cans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several gas cans of varying capacities. They all have some strange combination of interlocks that must be twisted, pressed, or otherwise manipulated to release the gasoline. The main feature of all of them seems to be that, once you have figured out the proper sequence of manipulations and contortions required to open them, they spill gasoline all over the flipping place. The gaskets don't seal, and the interlocks themselves aren't liquid tight. You definitely don't want to attempt refueling some hot OPE with one of these (I know, you're not supposed to do that anyway). In addition, if you're concerned about emissions/pollution, having gasoline slopped every which way evaporating into the atmosphere doesn't help much. I guess I'll just get funnels that fit everything I have that needs gasoline, and do it the old-fashioned way.

Originally Posted by Stelth
They all have some strange combination of interlocks that must be twisted, pressed, or otherwise manipulated to release the gasoline. The main feature of all of them seems to be that, once you have figured out the proper sequence of manipulations and contortions required to open them, they spill gasoline all over the flipping place. The gaskets don't seal, and the interlocks themselves aren't liquid tight.

Absolutely right on all counts. Like MParr, I solved the problem by buying a metal safety can. Mine is a JustRite 5 gal 7250120 and it does not spill gas or dribble it onto your hands. The long metal snorkel is great. The only minor quibble is the stiff spring on the fill cap you have to pull up to fill it.

I know an old timer who dispenses into 1 gallon windshield washer jugs. They're made of the same plastic, just not red. They hold VOCs and have a gasket seal under the kid proof cap.

Sunlight isn't good for gas, but the shade's okay.

The w/w jugs are more friendly to pour out of. I guess if you only fill them half full you don't have air glugging problems.

Funnels are good, too, depending on your OPE's filler position.

One might first think a safety gas can would be a PIA to use, but safety gas cans are actually great gas can that are easy/convenient to use. I have a metal flex hose on mine. No funnel needed. Safety gas can are the only ones that should be in an attached garage.

I do put some aluminum foil over the end of the metal flex hose so bugs or spiders do not get into it.

I have 2 of the eagle type I cans.. not a big fan.. the type II can is much easier to fill.. unfortunately I didnt know that at the time (online purchase)

oh well at least they were only 24$ each

I use 1 for my 90octane rec fuel. and a 1.25gal no-spill for my mix gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back