Safe to wax glass???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe/ok to wax glass? Will it get out scratches/pitting/etching that's occured on the windshield over many thou's miles???

I've waxed glass with no problems. It won't remove pitting or scratches. Even glass polishes won't for the most part. There are some glass polishing systems out there that use stuff like cerium oxide and require the use of a polisher that can do the trick.

Call a few local glass shops and see if they'll polish auto glass. If you're windshield is bad, really the only thing to do is replace it.

There are products made (or marketed) for waxing glass. I like the results from Rain-X

As far as removing pitting...I don't know of any product that will remove damage to glass.

I know a lot of people have had problems with glare and windshiled chatter from using Rain-X and I had similar problems. However, I started using Aquapel and haven't had any problems at all.

I do it all the time BUT never the windshield. That can can cause problems with glare and the wipers.

I do both the inside and outside of glass. It seems to keep the glass cleaner and make it much easier for me to see out in the rain.

But I don't use wax, I use a polish instead.

[ October 02, 2003, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I've waxed/polished my windshileds for at least ten years now. I've never had any problems. I like how the water just rolls off going down the road. Up to speed, you really don't need your wipers.

Looks like no one ever heard of the old time product "Glass Wax"
Your mom probably used it----came out in the late forties---still can be found in some groceries, and most hardware stores in the pink can.
I have used on all my vehicles for twenty five years----works like a charm, used on both sides of your car glass, stays clean for weeks. Goes on like a dream, wipe off when hazy. Cleans the crud off like majic, makes glass disappear. Surprized so few people know about it---they do not advertize at all, but company is old. Can will last you years. RainX is a distant second to this product.

jme

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back