S2000 vs rx8 R3

Status
Not open for further replies.
A guy wants to trade me his 2009 rx8 R3 with 27k miles on it for my S2000. 04 with 74k. Thoughts?

The series II rotary is supposedly better than the last generation.
The only downside I see is fuel economy and straight line performance. Value wise it seems to be a good trade on my part.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I'd keep your S2000. The only RX I like is the RX7 twin turbo,which is on my dream car list.

Those were amazing cars. It a shame to see the few still on the road with silly body kits and wings.

That would be a tough call for me, because there's things I like about both cars. I like the rotary zing of an RX-8, but their fuel economy is never very good. S2000's epitomize high-revving 4-cylinder performance, and they have Honda reliability, but to access the power the engine always have to be at high revs.

Why are you considering the trade? Is it to get a closed roof and more interior room that the RX8 has over the S2000?

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
A guy wants to trade me his 2009 rx8 R3 with 27k miles on it for my S2000. 04 with 74k. Thoughts?

The series II rotary is supposedly better than the last generation.
The only downside I see is fuel economy and straight line performance. Value wise it seems to be a good trade on my part.

What does the RX-8 offer that you want, that your S2000 doesn't offer?

I had a 2011 RX-8 Sport, and loved it.
Yes, it drank gas and oil, that's the nature of a rotary sports car.

Its looks are polarizing.
If you're used to driving a car that hasn't changed it's outward appearance since 1983, then you might not enjoy the looks of the RX-8. If you don't like having a car with the best suspension in the industry, and have the roads to properly enjoy it on, then you won't like the RX-8.

The RX-8 isn't for everyone.
I wouldn't expect the Pony Car/Muscle Car/Corvette/Viper crowd to ever actually like or appreciate the RX-8's capabilities, when all they can truly see is the fact that it doesn't have 400+ hp.

BC.

I have an 8 and while its easy to drive well on the track and is a little better looking all with a back seat and 4 doors Id keep the S2000. I personaly think its just a better car and a better sports car. It requires less maintenance and uses less gas too than an 8.

And for the pony car guys us 8s will usually catch you up or pass you in the tighter sections of a track.

Last edited:
My old roommate had an RX-8. While it was a great track car, it did have a lot of quirks that made it a hassle to maintain and daily-drive. He sold it after two years.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
That would be a tough call for me, because there's things I like about both cars. I like the rotary zing of an RX-8, but their fuel economy is never very good. S2000's epitomize high-revving 4-cylinder performance, and they have Honda reliability, but to access the power the engine always have to be at high revs.

Why are you considering the trade? Is it to get a closed roof and more interior room that the RX8 has over the S2000?

I'm considering it because it is 5 years newer, and is very low mileage. I like the looks of the 2009 rx8 R3. I love the S and I'm only considering it because it is worth about 5k more than my S. I liked the 04-08 rx8 but never could bring myself to buy one because of the issues they had. The new RX is supposed to be more reliable than the previous generation. The maintenance isn't and issue as I check my oil weekly anyway. The poor fuel economy is a negative, however.

The S shines in reliability and fuel economy, but the R3 rx8 is very rare as and 09 model R3 edition and it is newer and less than half the miles. It's also should still be under warranty as Mazda had and 8 year 100k mile warranty in 2009 on the rx8 drivetrains.

So really I like both cars, just getting opinions. I'm not set on the RX8 R3 but I'm just taking a look at my options.

I'd keep the S2000 as a weekend car and get something cheap and reliable for daily use, like a RAV4/CR-V (would be good in the winter too).

Originally Posted By: dparm
I'd keep the S2000 as a weekend car and get something cheap and reliable for daily use, like a RAV4/CR-V (would be good in the winter too).

I live right on the Ohio river so winters aren't too rough here. I also have an 04 fx4 for the snow. So winter isn't and issue.

RX8's are really neat cars! Only things I don't like about them are the 3rd back door and that it has back seats.

S2000's epitomize high-revving 4-cylinder performance, and they have Honda reliability

time has shown the RX-8 to be even more reliable than the S2000, not to mention that the rotary is 400,000+ mile durable, like a diesel

besides, who wants a noisy ragtop, not me!

Originally Posted By: LScowboy
S2000's epitomize high-revving 4-cylinder performance, and they have Honda reliability

time has shown the RX-8 to be even more reliable than the S2000, not to mention that the rotary is 400,000+ mile durable, like a diesel

besides, who wants a noisy ragtop, not me!

The RX-8 needs a lot of special care. The S2000 does not. It will literally run forever on almost any oil, gas, and gear lubes you run.

Its a Honda.... of course it will run forever.

Even if that RX-8 had 100 miles (10x10 miles) I would not trade an S2000 with 100,000 miles for it.

Originally Posted By: dparm

The RX-8 needs a lot of special care. The S2000 does not. It will literally run forever on almost any oil, gas, and gear lubes you run.

oh good grief, the RX-7 needs the correct type of oil, so what?

they sell it at Wal-Mart, I don't live in Mexico or some 3rd world country.

if the car was to be a daily driver, like a main car, the RX-7 would be my choice by a mile, if it was a 4th vehicle, strictly for pleasure, then it would be about a toss up as each has their strong points - and I have owned more Hondas than any other brand, so if anything, I am biased towards them

Of course he wants to trade you! He obviously saw this comparo. recently. My thought is you'd better watch it, too, before you do anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back