S2000 diff oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys,

i am trying to decide what oil to use in the diff of my S2000. A lot of opinions around, a lot of products, but hard to tell what is really better and provide decent protection of the gears and LSD. The Honda bottle says SAE90, GL5. So i am looking for a SAE90 and GL5 oil. But this alone isn't enough to make it an easy choise. Should i look for a straight 90 GL5 oil? Go for 80W-90? Or something different? So far i tend to go with Motul PA 90, what do you think? Hae you guys run any tests from a Honda S2000 diff? The car is a daily driver with some spirited driving every now and then, average temp where i live is 20-23 degrees Celsius, and will go at 5 degrees minimum aprox.

Looking forward to hear you suggestions/experiences.

Thanks
Nick

Originally Posted By: Al
No reason Mobil1 75W-90 wouldn't work

That would be something very hard to find over here. Amsoil, Redline, Motul, Castrol are widely available though

Originally Posted By: Al
No reason Mobil1 75W-90 wouldn't work

I had M1 75W90 in my S2000 since I replaced the OEM fluid a year after I bought it in 2003. I changed MTF, gear, brake and clutch fluids every 3-4 years. So far I don't have any problem.

Originally Posted By: MINick
Originally Posted By: CT8
75w- 140 .

Wouldn't this be too thick?

Im not sure if that would be too thick but it's definitely thicker than what the manual States. I'd run a high quality xxw-90.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Originally Posted By: MINick
Originally Posted By: CT8
75w- 140 .

Wouldn't this be too thick?

Im not sure if that would be too thick but it's definitely thicker than what the manual States. I'd run a high quality xxw-90.

I am trying to find an oil that is specially formulated for differentials (hypoid gears), but all are said to be "compatible" with yellow metal tranmissions too, so obviously not the best possible for hypoid gears only. Are you aware of any oil that is 100% specific for hypoid gears?

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
Nothing wrong with a full synth 75w90, 75w110, or 75w140

I'd lean toward thick as this diff isn't strong enough for the car.

https://neatgearboxes.wordpress.com/2013...appening-again/

CT Engineering

Uh, thicker fluid does nothing to relieve pressure on the parts of the differential. 140 weight gear oil is generally used when high load, slow turning loads are the expected duty.

I would stick with a high quality synthetic 75W/90. And buy the CT Engineering upgrade, if I was wringing the car's neck, regularly.

So i finally went with AMSoil MTF for the gearbox, and Castrol Syntrax 75W-90 for the diff. Hope these are good choices.

Amsoil MTF is EXCELLENT fluid. No experience with Castrol Syntrax. Amsoil Severe Gear fluid is superb though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back