RX450h ATF change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got under the RX today to do its initial drain and fill. 18.6k miles. It was infinitely easier than the Beretta was, just like a manual tranny.
The fluid looked a shade darker, and few shades darker when compared the two spills on the concrete. The color compared to the 2nd drain and fill on my ole Chevy, with 50k miles more on the fluid. In went 2 quarts of Redline D4, and 1.5 qts of Maxlife. The tranny sounderd more quiet, but only because of the beer consumed.
04.gif
Put some neodymium magnets on the plugs. Going to wait to do the rear, not nearly as many parts grinding in there.

How exactly did you put neodymium magnets on the plugs? Did you just place them on the original plugs and screw them back in?

Superglue them on the plug, it's worked on everything I've ever done so far, gear, motor and transmission lubes. Started with superglue after loosing them on oil pans, this one is aluminum, but there are massive magnets at work inside.

Last edited:
It would be a direct replacement, yes. The D4 is just a tad thicker, and with those nasty uoas those units put out, I just feel better bumping the thickness up a bit.

Any particular reason for the mix?
Just curious, I don't know jack about trannies and my present car has a CVT that supposedly requires OEM fluid and some bizarrely complicated fill routine.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Any particular reason for the mix?
Just curious, I don't know jack about trannies and my present car has a CVT that supposedly requires OEM fluid and some bizarrely complicated fill routine.

If it's the Subaru in your sig, you can use Castrol CVT with no problems
smile.gif

The Redline is a good lubricant, but I opted to dilute it with Maxlife to offset the price, especially considering that the fluid change intervals are short. Once the thing wears in some, I will stretch the intervals, increasing % of Redline used. I have 3 weights to choose from with the,6.5/30 (D6).7, 7.5/34 (D4), 10/53.9 (high temp) readily available and I settled in the middle. Might play with AMSoil, but Redline is the same price, and I have a soft spot for it.

As per the book, it is a sealed unit with a lifetime fluid horse [censored].
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
How often are you supposed to change the ATF in the RXh?

I don't buy lifetime ATF fill either, replaced ATF fill with MaxLife in Kia Forte '14 at 30K mi - ATF was very dark. Drain and fill first, the rest came out 1qt at a time via cooler line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back