Rust Proofing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

My car was previously rust proofed using Krown/RustCheck system ..'
Well I do have some rust inside doors now ...

Im thinking about getting rid of Krown oil ( or whats left after it ) .. and Paint doors on inside with something like POR15 same thing with fenders - Plan is to paint all accessible parts on the inside.

What do you think about this idea ?
Maybe some other cheaper products ... then POR15 ?

Im sure that there is some rust right now .. So the paint needs to be a rust converter as well ...

After I will have all elements covered with AMSOIL METAL HD any cheaper alternatives that are long lasting...

Last edited:
the first question is why did it rust if you had it rustproofed? Did you let your service at krown expire? Does the rustproofing degrade or induce rusting if not maintained?

If a rusty surface is not really well prepared, even something like POR 15 is not going to prevent it. Slow it, perhaps, but that is about as well as youll do.

Look at Eastwood rust encapsulator paint too.

Kris,

Did you have it rustproofed every year from day one at Krown? If so then they will cover the repairs under warranty.

Their product/warranty only works if applied yearly to the whole vehicle.

If applied only once and a while it won't protect properly.

What I would do now that you are in the situation is have the rust fixed by a body shop properly. Let the paint cure for a couple of days and then have the car treated at Krown yearly.

If you are a CAA member you will save on the price.

BTW: I would never use Rust-Check as their product contains a solvent which can harm your paint and actually cause rust if you stop the regular treatments as their product becomes acidic after a long period of time, whereas the Krown stuff will not.

PM me for more info if you want...
cheers3.gif

Steve

Hey Guys,

I used only Krown rigth after I bought the car... ( No Previous Owner did not do any rustproofing ) I had it done twice every year ...

And Because I have rust .. Im looking for something stronger then Krown to slow/stop it .. And then maybe spray it with Krown to sleep better ...

JHZR2

What do you mean by well prepared .. Im planning to Follow POR15 instruction use the Scrape Flakes, Marine Cleaner, Metal Ready, POR15, KROWN or AMSOIL HD or FLUID FILM to top it up ...

The thing with body shop is .. That I don't trust them its so hard to find good places ... And really expensive ... because the rust is small outbreaks .. for now .. I will try to deal with this on my own ...

Thank You Guys,

Kris,

Try Fix-Auto on Upper James, south of Rymal on the East side... They do quality work and are doing my moms Kia after her accident.
wink.gif

cheers3.gif

Steve

Originally Posted By: Ndx
JHZR2

What do you mean by well prepared .. Im planning to Follow POR15 instruction use the Scrape Flakes, Marine Cleaner, Metal Ready, POR15, KROWN or AMSOIL HD or FLUID FILM to top it up ...

That is exactly what I mean... Id suggest reading around on car forums where older cars are prevalent - mercedesshop is one of them, because MB diesels last forever... There are some good DIYs, and some long-term results and LOTS of discussion... Some folks see issues due to moisture existing under the paint, etc., so prep is key, and curing (with moisture, for POR 15 fo example) is also key - so don't overcoat too quick.

Id clean well, sand even outside of the realm of what you see as rust - to bare metal in order to verify, do the cleaner and metal ready, then heat well with a heat gun (or at least a hair dryer) to get the moisture out completely... then paint, coat, etc.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
BTW: I would never use Rust-Check as their product contains a solvent which can harm your paint and actually cause rust if you stop the regular treatments as their product becomes acidic after a long period of time, whereas the Krown stuff will not.

Interesting... I was curious if that was the case, especially since I would very much consider driving to Canada (we do for road trips from time to time anyway), and getting Krown to service my car. Thing is - no guarantee that Ill be back the next year. However, a treatment/coating is good all the same, IMO, even if not done consistently - so long as there are no side effects...

Is it 100% established that the Krown treatment does not break down into some sort of nasties like the other place?

JHZR2,

You could get Krown to do your car and tell them your from the US so they put it on extra thick and then you can buy a couple cans of their T-40 spray applicator to take home and touch up yourself after the winter and until you can come up next.

I wasn't just told by the Krown guy about Rust-Check, I was told this by a few other people not associated with Krown.

My Krown dealer has samples of metal in jars that have been applied with Krown & Rust Check & one with nothing from back in '91. The one that has had nothing has almost rusted completely out, the Rust-Check is badly corroded, and the Krown has only slight rust. Keep in mind these pieces of metal haven't been treated since 91!
wink.gif

Quote:
- so long as there are no side effects...

I've never noticed any. The only thing I don't like is its biodegradable. Kinda flies in the face of long lasting. (be it time, or washing the car). That said, Krown is my rustproofing of choice. I use it on two vehicles (bought used) and it does SLOW DOWN rust, It won't stop it (well, it might if they let me spray it on). One vehicle has been done since 1992 (1983 model) another since 1999 (1989 model year, florida car. This summer I discovered two rust spots on the front fenders, but other than that, it is still good as the day I bought it).

Don't know if other cities are like here, If you are planning to come up for a shot of Krown, you need to book an appointment. The closer to winter, the more difficult it will be to get a desirable time. That would be my pet-peeve with Krown, I don't like getting rustproofing when its raining.

Alex.

Our '85 Caravan which got done every year went to the scrapyard looking in showroom condition in the areas that weren't smacked up by my moms driving errors and mine when I first learned to drive.
LOL.gif
That made me a believer in the product.

Once the rust ("Cancer") has already gotten into your vehicles metal it will only slow it down, but it won't stop it from spreading. I know this from my Tempo which had a touch of rust on it when I got it and while it did slow the rust down it still spread.

As for my Santa Fe. I get the whole car done in the late spring/summer to replace what the salt has taken off and so that the hotter temperatures cause the oil to run all over the place in the seems etc. Then just before the winter I take it back in have just the undercarriage and exposed areas like the wheel wells re-sprayed because these will see the most abuse over the winter.

It has served me well so far, because under my 3 year old truck with over 170K KM of brutal winter 8-10 hour days it still looks like new!
thumbsup2.gif

had my blazer unercoated with grease ,the guy that does the job shoots the grease with a compressor ..all of my trucks got the same treatment and no more rust ...ever...

Originally Posted By: browning300wsm
had my blazer unercoated with grease ,the guy that does the job shoots the grease with a compressor ..all of my trucks got the same treatment and no more rust ...ever...
More details...
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back