Rust Proofing on old cars with rusty surfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Kamele0N
Originally Posted by nobb
Are these various rustproofing products bad for the various rubbers and such? I do a yearly spray with this biodegradable rustproofing spray from Napa which is mostly recycled vegetable oil. Haven't noticed any issue with it, it definitely seems to work on stopping rust. The only negative is that anytime I have to do some work underneath the vehicle it's a bit messy.

I can speak for a Krown...it is ok....that garage shop sprayed it even on some plastic parts inside the engine bay...and that shop is trusted around here...

Some say to avoid spraying weatherstripping. That's it.

I heard about Fluid Film swelling rear AC lines on large GM suvs. I can't speak to that personally.

Not sure what the issue is--if I get under the car to work on something, I'm going to get dirty. FF ensures that I'll be more dirty--but I wasn't going to be clean regardless.

IMO once it's rusty I don't feel like spending good money on good products--it's already a losing battle.

FWIW sometimes I spray FF during the winter for touchups. The stuff just doesn't stick around as well as I'd like.

Originally Posted by Gasbuggy

I plan to spray down my 1976 W115 300 diesel benz. It has many nooks and crannies.

If this is to slow down the corrosion process on already corroded surfaces, any of the oil type spray on products should help slow it. What I've experienced with Krown is all surfaces exposed to the elements when driving, will have the product washed off very quickly. Does this mean it still isn't there to some beneficial degree? I have no idea. For areas and surfaces not overly exposed to road 'forces', the product will stay present for a long time. You'll see dirty spots where it's still seeping out of and collecting dust. You're always going to get dirty, brushing against treated surfaces. It's either that or have rusty chunks falling off in your face.

Originally Posted by supton
Not sure what the issue is--if I get under the car to work on something, I'm going to get dirty. FF ensures that I'll be more dirty--but I wasn't going to be clean regardless.

IMO once it's rusty I don't feel like spending good money on good products--it's already a losing battle.

FWIW sometimes I spray FF during the winter for touchups. The stuff just doesn't stick around as well as I'd like.

I'm not really interested in getting oil/dirt mix on my chest when I slide under to drain the oil, or look at something. I bumped my head in the wheel well the other day, would rather not need to deep clean my hair afterwards.

I will coat it with FF if that turns out to be the best choice, but I thought maybe there was something different.

Originally Posted by JTK
For areas and surfaces not overly exposed to road 'forces', the product will stay present for a long time. You'll see dirty spots where it's still seeping out of and collecting dust. You're always going to get dirty, brushing against treated surfaces. It's either that or have rusty chunks falling off in your face.
Oil spray sludge is my favorite, especially when it is found on fasteners. I love opening a hood and seeing that crap everywhere, much prettier than rust.

Anyone who used FF that can comment on the supposed smell it has? I will apply it outside but I'm curious how long it will make the garage smell after it's parked.

Anyone who used FF that can comment on the supposed smell it has? I will apply it outside but I'm curious how long it will make the garage smell after it's parked.

I can't stand the smell of the spray can stuff and use it sparingly. The non-aerosol stuff isn't bad, on a hot day I know it's there still, its only real smell is when it gets onto the exhaust and it burns off.

I'm not really interested in getting oil/dirt mix on my chest when I slide under to drain the oil, or look at something. I bumped my head in the wheel well the other day, would rather not need to deep clean my hair afterwards.

Fair enough. My driveway is dirt so any trip under the car gets me dirty. And my hair all left me already, so no issues there either.

This may sound harsh, but not wanting to get dirty from oil spray rustproofing sounds like naive thinking. Beggers can't be choosers and there aren't too many alternatives when the car is already rusty. And OP already stated he's not interested in POR or rust converters, which would be clean once done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back