Valugard Rust Proofing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want some rust protection for my new truck: 2018 Silverado 3500. Indiana winters are SALTY.

My local Line-X dealer and truck accessory shop offers Valugard as their rust proofing product.

It's an asphalt based undercarriage product and a separate "waxy" solution sprayed in the doors and fenders. Anyone have any experience with this product? I think he said it would be $400-$500 to coat the truck. It's a one-time deal with a life-time guarantee.

Don't give me the the "Fluid Film" answer. I'm NOT doing this to my truck....not because I don't like the product, but because I don't have the time to do it 2 times a year.

Last edited:
My rust-free ‘95 Dakota convinces me that Krown works. I’m a loyal customer at the Sarnia, ON, shop, but there are now a couple of U.S. shops, one of which is in Monroe, MI. You can’t buy much rear-quarter metal and paint work for the cost of the annual resprays. If you’re in northern Indiana, you should probably do it if you intend to keep the truck for the long haul.

Krown, CarWell (same as Krown) or Fluid Film are the well known products. Need to be redone once a year. Around $100 is what I pay for CarWell. Just did Forester and F250.

Avoid any asphalt type undercoating. They can actually accelerate the corrosion process once the coating dries up and starts to crack.

Oil based rustproofing works, the downside is you have to apply it once a year. If you don't want to deal with the hassle, then I would suggest leaving the truck as is.

The age old "Quaker Coat Metal Guard" was good stuff.It seemed like a snotty mix of wax and petroleum.Stayed soft and went on thick.Sad it cant be had anymore.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
My local Line-X dealer and truck accessory shop offers Valugard as their rust proofing product.

Any product in which they misspell both 'value' and 'guard' is most likely neither.

Don't give me the the "Fluid Film" answer. I'm NOT doing this to my truck....not because I don't like the product, but because I don't have the time to do it 2 times a year.

Does it seem odd to you that you're asking for a recommendation but eliminating the best product for the application?
These products do not require twice a year application.
Maybe you need to complete a cost-benefit analysis and gauge whether the once yearly appointment and a day of inconvenience (plus yearly cost) is worth it to prevent the rust you seem so concerned about.
Only you can come to a conclusion for your particular circumstances.
Generally if you plan these things in advance, they aren't particularly inconvenient.

As always, YMMV.
thumbsup2.gif

I had a truck done with the black tacky stuff back in the early 1990's from a truck accessory shop. It looked nice, but I only owned that truck for a year or two, so it was a complete waste.

I keep hearing great things about Krown and shops seem to be popping up everywhere now. I would think even an application of Krown every other year would be a lot better than nothing for those of us in the rust belt.

Originally Posted By: Imp4
[
Does it seem odd to you that you're asking for a recommendation but eliminating the best product for the application?

What I meant was, I'm not applying the rust proofing product myself in my driveway. I don't want to do that. Sounds like it's in my best interest to drive the 2 hours each way to my nearest Krown installer.

So, since this Krown product works so well because it creeps and seeps into seams, should I have it sprayed in July to let the hot weather provide better penetration? Or wait until October/November, right before the snow and salt starts flying?

Originally Posted By: JTK
I had a truck done with the black tacky stuff back in the early 1990's from a truck accessory shop. It looked nice, but I only owned that truck for a year or two, so it was a complete waste.

I keep hearing great things about Krown and shops seem to be popping up everywhere now. I would think even an application of Krown every other year would be a lot better than nothing for those of us in the rust belt.

Has to be every year if you want to ensure it never rusts. It always washes off the chassis, this is more apparent on the frames of trucks.

I get what you are saying, but what is the point in oil spraying a rusty car.

[

What I meant was, I'm not applying the rust proofing product myself in my driveway. I don't want to do that. Sounds like it's in my best interest to drive the 2 hours each way to my nearest Krown installer.

So, since this Krown product works so well because it creeps and seeps into seams, should I have it sprayed in July to let the hot weather provide better penetration? Or wait until October/November, right before the snow and salt starts flying?

The Carwell company suggests to spray first thing in the spring. You do not need hot weather for the stuff to creep and seep, just not freezing. The shop I go to opens back up in April.

[

oh yeah I would definitely drive the two hours. Also get i would get it done while it's still warm. Maybe not now but it's better to get the stuff applied initially before all the dirt and dust stick to the frame and underside.

Drive to Canada, pay Krown with your USD and get a nice 20+ % savings right off the top. Get some good Canadian beer and back bacon and you're set.

Originally Posted By: Donald
[

The Carwell company suggests to spray first thing in the spring. You do not need hot weather for the stuff to creep and seep, just not freezing. The shop I go to opens back up in April.

I would apply in the late summer. I want the oil to protect my car from road salt in the winter, not get washed off during the spring and summer.

Krown actually recommends getting vehicles sprayed in the Spring. The stuff doesn't really "wash off" that much during the winter. Three of my four cars (I have four that I run over to Sarnia each year) got started in the Fall, and so that's when they get their annual resprays. It never ceases to amaze me that on the first few warm days after a long Michigan winter, the Krown oil will start dripping out of the trunk lid, doors, etc., 6 months after it was last sprayed. It's the oil that's sprayed inside the body cavities (doors, truck lid, rocker panels, rear quarter panels) that makes the real difference, and in those locations, it's not typically exposed to much road spray.

I started my Caravan on Rust Check spray in year 6, but it was too late for the rocker panels. There is a dealer in Fort Wayne, a unique place that has all sorts of cars in the garage from plain Jane's to fancy sports cars.

I started my current car with Krown in Windsor, but now do it in Monroe, Michigan.

At any of theses places, the guy applying the product is the key to good coverage. Silly, but I do it mid week as to avoid weekend hangovers, etc.. I talk to the owner AND the technician to let them know that I expect them to take a few minutes extra to do it right. Shouldn't have to do this, but lets be honest, often the guy doing the spraying is a short termer, low pay, etc., and they might do dozens of vehicles weekly. I treat them respectfully and usually have a treat of home made maple syrup, lunch coupons, or whatever. Until I develop a personal relationship with a shop, I am leery to trust any of them. Both the Windsor and Monroe shops have done well, so far. (Rant over).

I do have peace of mind in February when my car is salt white. Spring is the recommended time because heat accelerates rust. I buy a $10 aerosol can of the product and touch up exposed areas in October before first snow (peace of mind). Krown implies that a microscopic layer remains even IF it looks like it is all washed off. It DOES make the engine bay and other areas a bit messy, so live with a bit of mess or with rusty metal - your choice. The OCD "spotless" guys probably will not like it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
[

Thanks for the reminder!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back