Running short ATF change intervals?

Duralast doesn't "make" anything.

It was probably a decent filter from a known brand.
Very likely and with Autozone's buying power, they can (if they choose to) buy quality parts at competitive prices.

Alright, so I figured I'd pass this info along. It looks like Castrol Transmax Automatic/CVT Universal is a good full synthetic that doesn't deviate from Dexron III specs too much. It's also a couple bucks extra than the standard Dex/Merc at 22 dollars for a gallon, so pretty decently priced at Walmart.

Dexron III Spec:
1676040357662.png

Castrol Synthetic Fluid:
1676040333739.png

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm probably going to swap out the current fluid at 15k since it's going to shear down a fair bit by then and then put some of this stuff in and hopefully it'll be shifting buttery smooth.

If your calling a change a Drain and Fill - I do one every 20 to 30K in my Nissan's. My Xterra has 386K miles without issue, but the RE5R05 transmission is bulletproof so who knows.

As for Duralast, I have heard for domestic there often known suppliers, and for Asian there the cheapest chinese junk available. Sounds like its like one of them grab bag deals.

Duralast is like a box of chocolates....
It's like when I need something electrical and I go to O'Reilly's in town. I can look at the part or the CoO on the box. I've bought multiple parts like EVAP bits, a brake-pedal switch, etc and two of them were made in Japan and one was made in Taiwan. If they were Chinese-produced, I would have passed on them.

Man, I feel dubious about that automatic/cvt combination fluid. The friction requirements are so different between cvt and conventional transmissions.
It seems to have good reviews as far as step transmissions go. I'll leave an update on it once it's in the car, still got a few thousand miles to go before then though.

Alright, so I figured I'd pass this info along. It looks like Castrol Transmax Automatic/CVT Universal is a good full synthetic that doesn't deviate from Dexron III specs too much. It's also a couple bucks extra than the standard Dex/Merc at 22 dollars for a gallon, so pretty decently priced at Walmart.

Dexron III Spec:
View attachment 139748

Castrol Synthetic Fluid:
View attachment 139747

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm probably going to swap out the current fluid at 15k since it's going to shear down a fair bit by then and then put some of this stuff in and hopefully it'll be shifting buttery smooth.
What specifications or licenses does that fluid hold so you know the required shear resistance?

What specifications or licenses does that fluid hold so you know the required shear resistance?
I shot them an email asking what it is. as far as I know it's starting at dexron III viscosity. I'm hoping it doesn't drop down too low after that since it's a synthetic. We'll see what they say. If the oil isn't great I'll just take it back as I haven't used it and still have the receipt.

I shot them an email asking what it is. as far as I know it's starting at dexron III viscosity. I'm hoping it doesn't drop down too low after that since it's a synthetic. We'll see what they say. If the oil isn't great I'll just take it back as I haven't used it and still have the receipt.
Being synthetic will not influence the shear resistance, at least not directly. Oil molecules do not shear whether they are conventional or synthetic.

Back