running 92 oct ethanol free gas in 87 oct 2011 v6

Status
Not open for further replies.
do you think running 92 oct ethanol free gas will be OK in 2011 Mazda 6 3.7l V6 that is tuned to run on 87 reg gas?

Of course. Running higher octane than what is required causes no damage, except to your wallet!

:p

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Of course. Running higher octane than what is required causes no damage, except to your wallet!

:p

The car might not run as well on higher octane. It won't grenade the engine but I wouldn't make a habit of it. Would probably run rougher and throw CELs.

Remember that higher octane resists detonation more. That means it is actually HARDER to burn.

Can you do the advance timing mod on that model of Mazda6? I have it going on my 2010 Mazda 3. I get more power out of Mid-Grade now but it still runs fine on Regular

The lack of ethanol in the fuel certainly is beneficial. However the higher octane most likely is not, and in some cases may be slightly detrimental to power.

The ONLY ethanol free gas available here is 91-94 octane premium. I would pay an extra cent or two per liter for 87 octane, ethanol free gas any day but it is not available. Buying premium 91 can be as much as 10-12 cents more per liter and that is just not going to come close to paying for itself in fuel economy, and the miniscule power gain that might be there certainly isn't worth the price.

I do buy it(Shell V-Power 91oct) for my OPE as it is older and ethanol is particularly damaging to the fuel lines etc in Briggs motors. Sometimes when I fill the gas can for the OPE with the V Power I will fill the truck with it as well and dump some Redline fuel system cleaner in for a good cleaning.

Other than that, it's Petro Canada 87 octane, as I have their points card, all brands are priced the same and all the family vehicles run just fine on it.

how did you tune 2010 Mazda3 for richer fuel?
if it would not cost me arm and leg I would do it and than I could have a full benefit of slight power increase and better fuel economy while running on clean gas that should also be easier on the engine... my wife has 2010 Mazda3 2.5l - i'm very interested in the ability to set the timing to 91 oct....

i did read that ethanol free gas can save 3-7% on FE?
so my car that does 22-25mpg (27 hgwy) could potentialy get extra 1-2mpg ???

currently if I do run ethanol 91oct gas car seems to loose some low end torque while rev quicker and have a feel like the is more midrange hp while FE does suffer very slightly

i use shell most of the time...

10% ethonal fuel results in a 4.3% heat loss which translates into that much mileage loss in most cases. This 4.3% figure is done by comparing BTUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back