Run em or replace

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2009 Kawasaki vulcan 500 bought new with near 12k on the clock and org tires. Tires have good tread no cracks. What say ye? Change em or run em till they start to look bad. Bike is garage kept seldom ridden anymore since I got the PCX 125. I have always done my owm tire changes but it's quite a PITA now, 707. (The upside down LOL is a nod to Iron Horse mag columist Scott "Genghis" Wong from back in the day. Was any one else a reader? Appreciate any input.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Original tires on a 10 year old motorcycle??
Definitely replace.
There is just so much less room for error....

01.gif

Originally Posted by Imp4
Original tires on a 10 year old motorcycle??
Definitely replace.
There is just so much less room for error....

+1

+1 for replacement. you never want a tire to let loose on you, especially on a bike! Tires are a lot cheaper than a hospital stay.

on something always stored inside they are prolly ok BUT on a 2 wheeler better safer + modern tyres are soooo much better. i always buy tyres that handle + stick better than long wearing ones with less traction. i change my bike tyres before totally worn out as traction is lesser than when new + cupping in front + flat worn centers on the rear are common

Ya just gotta ride more.
smile.gif

My Yamaha's old rear tire was still very supple. Better rubber than car tires. Just don't go 10/10 especially when you have other rides.

Starting tire shopping I guess. First time changing bike tires for age not wear. LOL Thanks to all who replied.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by faltic
My 2009 Kawasaki vulcan 500 bought new with near 12k on the clock and org tires. Tires have good tread no cracks. What say ye? Change em or run em till they start to look bad. Bike is garage kept seldom ridden anymore.....
New tire dealers have been caught selling "new" tires that had been shelf stored for 9 years. As a user of "used" tires, I've always had excellent performance by "used older" tires.... never a failure. In the past, I featherfooted my motorcycles to as high as 77MPG. But if you race your bikes, you need new tires.

Last edited:
Tires, especially on a motorcycle are your most important safety item after your helmet and leathers. Buy the best you can afford, and keep them properly inflated and away from U/V (in a garage or with a cover) whenever possible.

The rubber gets harder as they age. I would replace as you never know if you're going to do a hard brake somewhere. You want as much grip as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back