Rubber protectant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any rubber protectant out there that will prevent the rubber in my weather stripping from freezing? I have frame-less windows on my doors (1993 Acura Integra) and when there is a frost, the weather stripping freezes so the door window wont go under the stripping creating a huge gap where it won't seal.

Since you'r driving an Acura, you may want to know that Honda sells an excellent silicone grease designed specifically for rubber seals. It is called "Shin-Etsu" grease. It's pricey, but it keeps the seals in good condition.

Some people have used a product at Napa dealers, I think the name is "Sil-Glyde" which is a silicone grease.

If your rubber seals didn't get any attention over the years, they may have lost their pliabiity especially in cold weather. If you have a huge gap, you may have a tough time getting anything to work short of replacement.

For all my rubber parts, I use 303 Aerospace protectant. It's a great product, that's waterbased and has UV protectants. You can find 303 at most Marine stores or online.

quote:

Originally posted by slalom44:

Some people have used a product at Napa dealers, I think the name is "Sil-Glyde" which is a silicone grease.

I've done some research on the Sil-glyde product as it is generally highly recommended whenever one is needing a "stay put" grease that will not harm rubber. Besides the silicone grease the other main ingrediate is Castor Oil (a vegetable oil from the Castor Bean).

I think a 3 or 4 oz. tube is now $4.69 at Napa. A bit pricey but I've not found anything with a better reputation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back