Rubber flake in oil

I have a 2004 Honda Accord 3.0L v6 with 130k. The car is in excellent shape and I typically change oil every 3,500 miles (Mobil 1 5w-20 High Mileage + Mobil 1 Filter). The last two drains I found small rubber flakes in the oil. The one in the image below is the largest of them, and there were only a few in each drain. I know I should have cut open my filter, but neglected to do that.

Any ideas on what this could be? The engine hasn't been opened up to my knowledge, so I'm worried I have a failing seal or other component.

Object in Oil.jpg

I have a 2004 Honda Accord 3.0L v6 with 130k. The car is in excellent shape and I typically change oil every 3,500 miles (Mobil 1 5w-20 High Mileage + Mobil 1 Filter). The last two drains I found small rubber flakes in the oil. The one in the image below is the largest of them, and there were only a few in each drain. I know I should have cut open my filter, but neglected to do that.

Any ideas on what this could be? The engine hasn't been opened up to my knowledge, so I'm worried I have a failing seal or other component.

View attachment 222882
do these engines have a chain+ guides to run the oil pump?

Cam chains and guides in a V6 double overhead cam Honda. Could be rubber off a chain guide if the guides are rubber coated. Surprised it wasn't suspended and drawn through the pump and caught by the filter. Yes, a filter inspection could find more.

Probably nothing to be overly concerned about unless it keeps continuing.

Last edited:
Uhh, there's no chains or guides in a J Series.

Gauranteed you have failing seals, if you haven't done them already the oil pump will be coming up on a resealing. Best done when you do the timing belt since that has to come off to do it. (Along with the oil pan)

As for where the rubber came from? There's no telling. I wouldn't sweat it though unless you start seeing more of it.

Could have been a piece of flash off of a gasket or something.

Last edited:
Once i was checking the valve clearances on my 1975 Ford Capri and upon removing the drivers side valve cover i found a piece of duct tape in there, small, about maybe an inch square, no idea how it got in there as it was not the first time i did a valve adjustment, i do it every other year.

Since it is a Honda J30 series engine, it might be small slivers of silicone RTV flaking off from the valve cover gasket. RTV is used to seal the corners of Honda valve covers where the gasket meets the cylinder head(s). Or it could be nitrile rubber molding flashing from the oil filter's ADBV or gasket.

My old dodge has a drain plug with a built in rubber gasket that wears out every few years. Seems to get chewed up with use. It loses small bits of rubber that could end up in the oil pan while draining.

Back