RP Race 21 20W/50 383 stroker in a 02 Z06

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a friends sample from his 02 Z06. About 7k miles ago he had the motor stroked out to a 383. This oil has 5k miles on it.

He also used some "prolong" with the oil.

The oil was 20w-50 for sure.

He is going to send some prolong to blackstone to see if some of the high readings could be caused by it.

I believe the total miles on the car to be in the 20-30k range.

He is using amsoil racing 20w-50 in the car this time and will change at 3k. Will also send in the next sample to blackstone.

-

Yikes!

More evidence right here that Prolong is garbage. If I were this guy I'd run some Auto-rx through the engine to clean up the mess the Prolong caused.

Ouch! Those are some painful numbers
shocked.gif
! Probably a combo of running 20W-50 plus Prolong(ironic name)and quite possibly some "less than satisfactory" engine reassembly from the stroking. I also thought I read somewhere that stroked engines put more strain and stress on the bearings.

Whimsey

Prolong what?

I guess this engines agony by keeping this crap in there!

I wish TBN were given. Isn't this where we would see if the Prolong was most responseable for the wear by corrosive attack. Without more info, it's hard to tell what's causing the problem. I'm not defending Prolong
crushedcar.gif
here but I also wouldn't assume that it's the only problem in a new motor.

Strokers put a lot of strain on the thrust side of the pistons depending on the length of the rods, but this report is INSANE! 383 isn't that radical.

quote:

Originally posted by silverz06vette:
This is a friends sample from his 02 Z06. About 7k miles ago he had the motor stroked out to a 383. This oil has 5k miles on it.

He also used some "prolong" with the oil.

The oil was 20w-50 for sure.

He is going to send some prolong to blackstone to see if some of the high readings could be caused by it.

I believe the total miles on the car to be in the 20-30k range.

He is using amsoil racing 20w-50 in the car this time and will change at 3k. Will also send in the next sample to blackstone.

-

Royal Purple Racing 21 is a 5w-30, not a 20w-50. Are you sure this wasn't supposed to be Racing 51?

Either way, dump the Progarbage use some Auto-RX to clean up the engine and fill with RP21 and some LC.

I sure hope that Promotelunch is doing this. Otherwise ..that's one sick engine.

This report, all by itself, is going to reindex the UA up a notch or two.
lol.gif

quote:

Royal Purple Racing 21 is a 5w-30, not a 20w-50. Are you sure this wasn't supposed to be Racing 51?

Yes just verified that it was the R51 in this sample.

If owner of the car believes that the readings are caused by the prolong (he is going to send a sample of prolong to Blackstone to verify this) Does anyone recommend using M1 0w40 in this motor?

How long should he run the Amsoil 20w-50 racing oil in the motor now? Blackstone sugguested that he go 3k and send it in for another sample.

Thanks for all your replies.

Owner also tells me that:

quote:

My "problem" is oil pressure at idle drops to about 10 when I was running 10W30, let me know what the oil experts think of that lower viscosity with bearings with wider tolerances? If part of my "problem" is running the 20W50, would 20W40 be better, or should I try 10W30 or 10W40 next time???

Wow, I would expect higher wear when using this sheister snake-oil junk, but this is unbeleiveable!!

I'd send the report to Prolong along with a hate letter just shy of threatenting their lives.
mad.gif

I'd go at least one interval with a 15W-40 HDEO and then switch to a 40 weight oil (0W-40, 5W-40 or 10W-40) and go no more than 2,000 miles for the next couple of intervals.
rolleyes.gif

THEN retest with an oil you've settled on.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by silverz06vette:
Owner also tells me that:

quote:

My "problem" is oil pressure at idle drops to about 10 when I was running 10W30, let me know what the oil experts think of that lower viscosity with bearings with wider tolerances? If part of my "problem" is running the 20W50, would 20W40 be better, or should I try 10W30 or 10W40 next time???

To me this looks like an oil pressure problem which is leading to such high wear numbers. I don't think Prolong could cause such incredibly high wear numbers in this report. Although I would personally never use Prolong just looking at the VOA from the patent info. I think there is something wrong with the oil pump or something got botched during the rebuild of the motor.

and the prolong itself shouldn't cause a serious problem until it used up the oils acid neutralizing abilities. Without TBN, It's hard to point fingers. If the guy thought that Prolong worked, why would he put it in a motor without break-in? If it did what they claim, the motor would never break-in.

This can be definitely attributed to using too thick of oil and the top end and rings not getting the oil they require.

Tell your friend to go to a 5w40 next time.

quote:

Originally posted by Randes:
The Blackstone report says he was using leaded fuel.

Sorry I forgot to add that. He does that when he goes to the track.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this.

Silicon at 32 is also quite high. Could be dirt or an additive in either RP or Prolong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back