Royal Purple's viscosity change

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Gimme the link to that meter...I could use that on other auto boards.......regularly. THAT is way funny!
lol.gif

Here it is:

http://home.san.rr.com/bk330ci/bs meter.gif

Great thread guys-I think we need to send this thread to RP. I hereby nominate rugerman1's post as "post of the year Great job dude.

"Royal Purple is all PAO base."

Just the racing stuff.

The street oil is a mineral blend even if it isn't clearly labelled as such.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
"Royal Purple is all PAO base."

Just the racing stuff.

The street oil is a mineral blend even if it isn't clearly labelled as such.

--- Bror Jace

Are you sure?? This was the answer I got from RP, when I asked about their API motor oils.

CRW
patriot.gif

"Are you sure?? This was the answer I got from RP, when I asked about their API motor oils."

Chris, As you can imagine , this has come up before on this board. Try a search on "Royal Purple." You will get a lot of hits but not an unmanageable amount.

--- Bror Jace

Dcanitz, a tech rep for RP, and a member of this board, has said more than once, that the OEM grade RP is a mix of PAO and group I conventional oil. Hey.....at least they are honest about it.
wink.gif

[ September 17, 2003, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

But does Royal Purple put any info on their website?
Nowhere does it say PAO based motor oil(other than some industrial greases).

Years ago when I heard about RP(from trucker friend), I couldn't get any info on whether their oil was synthetic, how they define synthetic, or what group or percents they use.

All they blabber about is their synthetic "synerlec'd" additive? How much additive is in a quart? What about the rest of the oil?

Well, although they do tell what the base oils are, they still don't tell how much of what is in there. Although that does make me wonder, Schaeffer's supreme is also a blend, and has shown some stellar UOA's. Maybe the additive package is just as important (or even more so) than the base oil.
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Well, although they do tell what the base oils are, they still don't tell how much of what is in there. Although that does make me wonder, Schaeffer's supreme is also a blend, and has shown some stellar UOA's. Maybe the additive package is just as important (or even more so) than the base oil.
dunno.gif

Where do they tell what the base oil is?

They used to list it in the FAQ section, but they apparently have removed it. The tech support will tell you though. They won't tell you the ratios though. I have to believe that it is a PAO/group I mix though. If they wanted to lie about it, why would they claim to use group I oil?

I talked to Dave Canitz of RP recently and asked him specifically about the comment above and the "thinning " issue. Watching BITOG daily is impossible for most in the oil business so the fact that Dave posts here periodically is a + IMHO. And I hope he follows up on this some when he gets a chance. I will say that RP is one of the few syn oils that does not reformulate based on BITOG's and Patmans comments !!!
lol.gif

He is trying to track this comment down but has no clue who said this or if it is fabricated .

I trust Dave and I know the Royal Purple oil
company makes a solid product that shows low wear in the cars we test.

On the vis at say 9.1 cSt instead of > 9.3 cSt. Dave said they design the products to reduce wear and increase performance and if that means they are .2 cSt off the SAE scale so what. Since Patman is a valued customer of mine and recipent of free RP for testing we discussed this at some length. Dave is convinced that if Patman had continued use of RP so that the original oil was all gone the RP would have showed > 9.3 cSt thus a SAE 30w oil. A case of RP cleaning and being used up by the original oil residuals.

I tend to agree with Dave and while I am a stickler for the grade of a oil remaining at design vis, this based on Daves comments is the design.
If wear does NOT suffer and the oil remains effective over the drain interval and I am confident RP does , then use it.

On the base oils question, I have tested RP street oils (in 2001 I think), and the only "petroleum" oils in the formulation are at least group II and are diluent or carrier oils used for the add package. This is a very low level of diluent oil.
Nothing weird about that and no cause for alarm.

The final product whether it is Royal Purple or Schaeffers or brand X is the key because ...

Chemistry is synergistic not simplistic !......

Jesse Jackson inspired me to write that.
shocked.gif

TD

[ September 23, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: Terry ]

My plan is to run Royal Purple for at least two more intervals in my wife's car, although on the upcoming oil change I will be going from 5w30 to 10w30. It'll be interesting to compare the viscosity change between those two.

My mid interval UOA results on this current interval looked promising, at least in terms of wear numbers. I'll be changing it at 5000 miles, which will be mid to late October.

Maybe RP oils implement the latest in nano-technology. An oil that is actually microscopic tiny robots that when the oil needs to be thick, a buch of them group together and viceversa!!!
dunno.gif

Rick

quote:

Maybe RP oils implement the latest in nano-technology. An oil that is actually microscopic tiny robots that when the oil needs to be thick, a buch of them group together and viceversa!!!

lol.gif
LMAO...wouldn't be suprised if that was there next response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back