royal purple new formula?

Status
Not open for further replies.
long time reader...first time poster. Just pickup some royal purple for a upcoming oil change and noticed a few new things. It now meets GM6094M and dexos1 requirements but I also noticed no where on the bottle does it mention their synerlec additive. Have they changed their formula and pawning the old formula as their new HPS oil that still has synerlec in it?

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!!

35.gif
36.gif

Originally Posted By: 209paulc
long time reader...first time poster. Just pickup some royal purple for a upcoming oil change and noticed a few new things. It now meets GM6094M and dexos1 requirements but I also noticed no where on the bottle does it mention their synerlec additive. Have they changed their formula and pawning the old formula as their new HPS oil that still has synerlec in it?

RP has changed their lineup.

The normal RP sold at Advance Auto and other places is the new AP SN formula that does not contain any Synerlec because it cannot be used and meet SN standards. They are in switchover right now, so you can tell the difference by the bottle style as the new SN has the new bottle design (as does the new HPS below)

They have added a new oil the High Performance Street (HPS) that still contains Synerlec and higher levels of ZDDP (around 1200 ppm). This oil has been reformulated with more Synerlec than the previous "normal" RP (I got this from the RP tech line). In addition the under 40 weight oils had the ZDDP increased to the 1200 ppm ZDDP rather than the 1000 ppm previously used to meet the SL standards. The 40 and 50 weight oils previously and still have 1200 ppm ZDDP

The XPR (extreme performance racing) line is unchanged as far as I know.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
So what is the API rating on the HPS oils? With 1200ppm zddp, they would only fit into API SH for 30-weight and under.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I must say, I do like the new bottles......

Its about time. The old one`s were dated.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
So what is the API rating on the HPS oils? With 1200ppm zddp, they would only fit into API SH for 30-weight and under.

There is none. The HPS line is not API certified.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
rp has a sn oil now? wow! id like to see some reports on it!!

Here are RP's current API certified oils according to the API site. You may have trouble finding the new SN oils however. Not sure they are even out yet but if they are it has literally just happened...

SN:
0W-20 w/ Starburst
5W-20 w/ Starburst
5W-30 w/ Starburst
10W-30 w/ Starburst
10W-40
20W-50

SM:
0W-40
5W-40
15W-40

SL:
5W-20 Energy Conserving
5W-30 Energy Conserving
10W-30 Energy Conserving
10W-40
15W-40

SJ:
SAE 30
SAE 40
SAE 50
20W-50

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jax_RX8

RP has changed their lineup.

The normal RP sold at Advance Auto and other places is the new AP SN formula that does not contain any Synerlec because it cannot be used and meet SN standards. They are in switchover right now, so you can tell the difference by the bottle style as the new SN has the new bottle design (as does the new HPS below)

They have added a new oil the High Performance Street (HPS) that still contains Synerlec and higher levels of ZDDP (around 1200 ppm). This oil has been reformulated with more Synerlec than the previous "normal" RP (I got this from the RP tech line). In addition the under 40 weight oils had the ZDDP increased to the 1200 ppm ZDDP rather than the 1000 ppm previously used to meet the SL standards. The 40 and 50 weight oils previously and still have 1200 ppm ZDDP

The XPR (extreme performance racing) line is unchanged as far as I know.

Hope this helps

I am not so sure you are 100% right about the Synerlac. Synerlac is just their name for their special proprietary additive pack. I would assume that they can modify the contents of it to meet whatever spec they need to.

You may be right but I am not so sure it will work that way. Maybe?

I am surprised too, but the new bottle does not state Synerlec is in it while the HPS bottle does.

GO to their website and look at the new bottle picture for both and you can see where HPS reference Synerlec and the new Sn does not.

I've been a RP user for ten years I can care less about dexos1 and it meeting GM spec. HPS sounds more like what I've been using and the new SN is selling for the same price and I bet the new HPS falls in price between the SN and their race oil. Its sounds royal purple introduce their new SN oil as a no thrill basic syntehic oil and jacked up the price of their Synerlec oil formula under the new HPS branding.

price in california for new SN royal purple rangings from $8.49 to $8.99. I've found it at both local carquest and autozones

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: A_Harman

There is none. The HPS line is not API certified.

Sounds like a good oil to compete with Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs high-zddp oils.

I've been a RP user for ten years I can care less about dexos1 and it meeting GM spec. HPS sounds more like what I've been using and the new SN is selling for the same price and I bet the new HPS falls in price between the SN and their race oil. Its sounds royal purple introduce their new SN oil as a no thrill basic syntehic oil and jacked up the price of their Synerlec oil formula under the new HPS branding.

actually the HPS price is 8.95 as well, pace performance finally started selling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back