Royal Purple 5w30---5,000+ miles---06 Nissan Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, silicon appears to have increased and the trending is going up for this 2nd UOA. Long-tube headers were put on during this interval. This is API SL rated Royal Purple. He may try Amsoil XL 5w-30 next time. This truck is used to haul a lot of various supplies to construction jobs, heavy tile, etc. Steady diet of E-85 fuel still as well.

Link to image:

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/7590/an2f.png

an2f.png

Code:
OIL Royal Purple 5w30

MILES IN USE 7,089

MILES ON UNIT 114,225

SAMPLE TAKEN 09/07/2011

ALUMINUM 8

CHROMIUM 4

IRON 20

COPPER 29

LEAD 19

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 136

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 9

SILICON 17

SODIUM 16

CALCIUM 2445

MAGNESIUM 1516

PHOSPHORUS 918

ZINC 950

BARIUM 0

SUS VIS 210ºF 56.9

cSt @ 100ºC 9.33

FLASHPOINT ºF 405

FUEL%
ANTIFREEZE% 0.0

WATER% 0.0

INSOLUBLES% 0.3

Here is a link to the 1st UOA thread:

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2262272

Shorter run, more wear and above averages to boot. Though you have had some work done on the engine so of course that can affect the readings. I would stick with Amsoil or any of your favorite Major oils.

Thanks for testing this and posting

Last edited:
Nothing scary, stick with RP or switch if you like. It would be interesting to repeat the run with regular (E10) gasoline. E85 can be rough on the oil.

Royal oil and filters and still having "issues"...it is a modified engine (CAI, programmer, etc) so you can't expect extended intervals.

If he tried XL he'd be theoretically "downgrading" to a semi-synthetic. I would be interested personally to see how XL performs after 5000 since it is formulated for extended intervals.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
Royal oil and filters and still having "issues"...it is a modified engine (CAI, programmer, etc) so you can't expect extended intervals.

If he tried XL he'd be theoretically "downgrading" to a semi-synthetic. I would be interested personally to see how XL performs after 5000 since it is formulated for extended intervals.

Not a semi-synthetic, just a group III synthetic. No worse than Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge/Syntec, Valvoline Synpower....etc.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Not a semi-synthetic, just a group III synthetic. No worse than Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Edge/Syntec, Valvoline Synpower....etc.

It may even wind up being ASL 5w-30 instead.

Once again it's parts per million, not too bad, but trending the wrong way.

I have no experience with e85, but if he has it tuned specifically for it that might explain the allegedly 'poor' numbers.

I am not an RP basher but it might be time to try another oil.

He has a piggy-back vkpro; set to optimize 93 octane. Not a true tune.

That could be affecting matters, mods but no real ECU tune?

He's been considering Bully Dog or UpRev.

Last edited:
Numbers aren't exactly alarming, but they're not any good, either.

Silicon is a touch high ... but doesn't look high enough to explain a copper of nearly 30 with the "universal average" for this motor being only 4. Same with a lead of almost 20. The scariest thing about elevated lead AND copper is that can mean main bearing wear (babbit material).

First thing I looked for was potassium (from coolant) to explain the higher soft metals ... but the value has dropped to zero. Maybe you have a coolant leak and the coolant doesn't contain potassium? Blackstone says 0% coolant but I wouldn't bet my life on that.

I'd try something else ... either a RP XW40 a high-mileage XW-30 or XW-40 (synth or conventional). The thicker weight oil may reduce the copper and lead IF they are coming from bottom end wear.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
He has a piggy-back vkpro; set to optimize 93 octane. Not a true tune.

That could be affecting matters, mods but no real ECU tune?

He's been considering Bully Dog or UpRev.

The uprev is the best current option. Stay away from the bullydog programmer. We have seen some of the worst trans tuning we have ever seen with this particular Bullydog programmer

very interesting additive analysis of Royal Purple. High Ca and Mg - initial TBN should be 15 with too high sulfated ash, low Boron - no exist borated succinimides. IMHO a little bit unbalanced formulation

I'm surprised you buy into the false marketing of Group IIIs. They aren't synthetic because they aren't man-made. In this case it is semi-synthetic, I'm an Amsoil dealer and I won't let them get away with it either.

Is it a good performing group III conventional? Yes. But it isn't synthetic.

I'm surprised you buy into the false marketing of Group IIIs. They aren't synthetic because they aren't man-made. In this case it is semi-synthetic, I'm an Amsoil dealer and I won't let them get away with it either.

In North America group III is allowed to be called Synthetic, for better or worse. So while your claim would hold weight in Germany, here it does not. What you believe or not is irrelevant to the facts at hand, which dictate that a Group III-based oil can be called "Synthetic". I'm sure the oils marketed as Semi-synthetic on the market are a far cry from having as much synthetic base (group III or otherwise) as even the cheapest Group III "synthetic".

2nd uoa got no make up oil.
.5q near the end of the run may have balanced out the differences a little.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
2nd uoa got no make up oil.
.5q near the end of the run may have balanced out the differences a little.

^The first UOA included a mistake during the interval. That is there was an oil filter swap somewhere between 3,000-4,000 miles and the oil wasn't topped off afterward. The 1/2 quart was added with 1,000 miles to go. The truck was at the low mark on the dipstick at about 6,000 miles in when I got to check it; anywhere from 2,000-3,000 miles with nearly a quart low. Only 1 pint was added since some 1500 later the interval would be over and this was the last of his stash of Royal Purple.

He says he has ran the vehicle 1/2 a quart low often. I believe for a while he mis-read the re-fill capacity. The truck takes 6.5 quarts and he had been using 5.5 for a few years.

Last edited:

Natural gas is man made?

Group III is synthetic due to its properties, behavior and performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back