Rotella T6 in a gas application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent about $7K stroking a late model moper hemi and want it to live long.
One of the motor heads who deals with high HP hemi's recommended
Rotella T6 5-40.

After about 3K miles, I changed to Penn Platinum 5-30 for the winter months. The temps are mild in So. Cal. but I was seeing oil pressure over 80 when cold, 60+ at operating temp. and 25 hot at idle. Also running a Wix 51515R filter.

It's a weekend only car, so doesn't get many miles on it.

With the Fumoto drain valve, I can also do a partial drain to add 15-45 prior to racing - then possibly do a change out.

Advice is welcomed.
Hal

In your climate , I would use Rotellat T6 5w-40 all year round . Rotella T6 is a stout oil that will serve your stroker well.I see no benefit to draining 5w-40 to 15w-40 for racing as well.

Not sure about the selection for 5w-30 vs 40 for the winter months. The cold start characteristics of either are going to be roughly the same, though the 5w-30 will be slightly thinner. But in So Cal, I doubt it makes a real difference.

Given your use schedule and the ard use it will see, I'd probably run Rotella 5w-40 or pennzoil euro 5w-40 in the car, and change it once a year.

I'd also take a look at the Amsoil hot rod oil, because it is designed for hard irregular use with a lot of anti-corrosive adds in it. Might be a good application for you.

The T6 will do fine for year round use in your area. Also, it would be wise to ditch the 51515R and stay with the regular 51515. Coming straight from Wix, they're for catching rocks, birds and rodents... In other words, for racing only.

Im running a 50/50 mix of T6 and PU 5w20 in my RT. Engine runs smoother than strait 5w20. In fact engine has never ran this smooth and quiet. Hemi tick is alot Quieter. The mds works fine. Not much change in oil pressure 53psi at 2400rpm with oil around 200 deg.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
The T6 will do fine for year round use in your area. Also, it would be wise to ditch the 51515R and stay with the regular 51515. Coming straight from Wix, they're for catching rocks, birds and rodents... In other words, for racing only.

He's right wix say 61 microns for 51515r. I use pureone filters, they do a great job filtering. If you want more flow there is several large 3\4-16 filters.
check here http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...true#Post345352

I think the 51515R states on the can: (Not for street use - for catching rocks only!)

I hadn't seen the micron rating. I ran the PL30001 before and hoped the 51515R would reduce some oil pressure. It was warm today (70F) and it didn't.
The 6.1 oil pump on a 5.7 base motor pushes 85+ psi @ 100F, and 65+ psi @ 211F. I guess I'll be less concerned with the pressure and more concerned with keeping the oil clean.

Thanks for the input.

The factory oil pressure sender on my RT is after filter. I changed the nipple on my block to 3/4-16, it used to be metric. The filters for the metric nipple are smaller. I had to run a fram TG in a pinch when i was still using metric filters and lost about 5 psi at 2500rpm. Now all I run is the pl30001, the filter is 99.9 at 20 microns. I think there is no restriction with the pureone filter. Now both my hemi's run same filter.

what rpm do you redline that engine?

Originally Posted By: HalsMag
With the Fumoto drain valve, I can also do a partial drain to add 15-45 prior to racing - then possibly do a change out.

Advice is welcomed.
Hal

What kind of racing? Drag race, autocross, or road course? If you're drag racing, don't bother with a 40-weight. The engine doesn't run hard long enough to get the oil up to operating temperature. Additionally, as long as the car is naturally-aspirated, I don't see much reason to go 40-weight, regardless of how much it's been stroked. However, if the engine has been assembled with loose bearing clearances, then there may be a reason for 40-weight.

As far as using RT6, I think it is best used in diesels and old slider-follower muscle car engines. New engines don't need the zddp. I would choose M1 0w40 or Pennzoil Euro 5w40 for a high-performance gasoline engine before I would go with RT6.

Originally Posted By: HalsMag
I spent about $7K stroking a late model moper hemi and want it to live long.
One of the motor heads who deals with high HP hemi's recommended
Rotella T6 5-40.

After about 3K miles, I changed to Penn Platinum 5-30 for the winter months. The temps are mild in So. Cal. but I was seeing oil pressure over 80 when cold, 60+ at operating temp. and 25 hot at idle. Also running a Wix 51515R filter.

It's a weekend only car, so doesn't get many miles on it.

Advice is welcomed.
Hal

The oil you are running is great. The M1 0W40 or the PU 5W40 would also be good choices.

I know this car and driver from LXForums. Glad to see him here.

Good advice all, but I run Amsoil Dominator in my two expensive motors. They both love it and it takes a thrashing well.

Hal, checked that timing chain tensioner assembly lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back