Rotella T4 15w40 + Lucas in a 93 Corvette Autocross Race Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s funny how those HD 15W40s work okay in motorcycles that rev to 14,000 rpm, but aren’t suitable for a V8 at 7,000.
Do they really work ok though? Everybody I know that has run Rotella in motorcycles isn't actually the type to do any internal engine work. They think Rotella automatically equals high quality and just assume it's a great choice. Rotella is nothing special. It's oil made to a price-point to appease truck fleets with a cult following due to advertising.

Do they really work ok though? Everybody I know that has run Rotella in motorcycles isn't actually the type to do any internal engine work. They think Rotella automatically equals high quality and just assume it's a great choice. Rotella is nothing special. It's oil made to a price-point to appease truck fleets with a cult following due to advertising.
BROTella!

Cheap + engine didn't explode = god's gift to engines

People will go to great lengths to justify saving a buck. If Rotella was to suddenly go to $50/gal, they'd drop it in a hearbeat.

For Autocross, you shouldnt' have oil temp issues, you beat on it for 50 seconds then wait 10-15 for the next run. Any basic OTS synthetic should be just fine. Quite different than 20-25 min of hard use on a road course.
That's what I was thinking. If it is JUST an AX car I don't think I would want that thick unless there was some underlying low-pressure issue I was trying to band-aid. You don't usually get, nor want, a ton of warmup time. You could sit there and let the car run, but then you're heat soaked for the run and usually sucking in nice super hot air to the engine. I'd want an oil that can flow well on the colder end of the temp range, so I can start and go.

That's what I was thinking. If it is JUST an AX car I don't think I would want that thick unless there was some underlying low-pressure issue I was trying to band-aid. You don't usually get, nor want, a ton of warmup time. You could sit there and let the car run, but then you're heat soaked for the run and usually sucking in nice super hot air to the engine. I'd want an oil that can flow well on the colder end of the temp range, so I can start and go.
Right. And that’s why I slipped in the 10W30 Delvac which has the same hths as some of the 0W40s @ 3.6
With 1,500 mile oil changes, I doubt if an engine oil shearing down would be a concern.
Friends don’t let friends use “Brotella”, but I couldn’t help myself last summer and bought 5 pails of 15W40 T5 for $60 USD each.
So I’m not the one paying for advertising.

Instead of 15W40 T4, better go with Delvac Extreme HTHS 4.1.
Delvac 10W30 has a hths of 3.6.
Why a diesel oil at all? Why not just run Mobil 1 HM in 5W-30 or 10W-40? Or if the car is catless and some extra zinc is desired, then Valvoline VR1.

I'm very weary of diesel oils in gas applications. Gasoline oils contain more anti-foamer to match the general higher redline of gas engines, and I'm not sure why people would want to roll the dice on that.

I'm very weary of diesel oils in gas applications. Gasoline oils contain more anti-foamer to match the general higher redline of gas engines, and I'm not sure why people would want to roll the dice on that.
But the foaming requirements per ASTM D6082 are nearly identical between gasoline and diesel oils with an API license. In fact the diesel one is a bit more stringent.

Just bought this car that the owner modified over the last year for autocross racing - few small power mods and numerous handling mods. Owner says he's been running and racing it with Rotella T4 15w40 plus Lucas Oil Stabilizer. 1500 mile max oil change intervals. Says loads of racers use this same oil combination with great results. I'm thinking I'll just go with Mobil 1 15w50 and no additive. I think I'll be racing it this weekend at BRR SCCA 2023 Solo Championship Event #5

View attachment 173011

Dewitt Alum radiator/Dewitt big azz cooling fans. Meziere electric water pump.
Accel Opti-spark, wires,plugs,injectors.
Deatschwerks 200 fuel pump.
New Alternator, Battery.
Reprogram chip, timing,fuel,disarm VATS.
Powerstop Zink slotted/drilled rotors, ceramic pads. Calipers,wheel bearings.
Stage II clutch Aluminum lightweight Flywheel $$$$$$.
Ridetech Fox 24 position adjustable shocks.
Monster RideTech sway bars.
Falken Azenis 660's, 315 square. 18x10 fo speedway rims,600 miles.
JVC Bluetooth hands free stereo, new speakers.
Nice. 50 is insane for a water-cooled, low power density SBC engine. I would also not run a LL euro oil - too much detergent.
I like Mercury Marine i/o 4 stroke 25W40 for high power density SB and BB; even that may be too thick for you.
Keep an eye on oil temps first time out. You may do well with just a 10W30 or a Superbike 4T lube - if you dont want to cough up unnecessary bucks for boutique products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back