Rotella 5W40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this oil? It is a synthitic diesel oil that I'm thinking about useing for not only my diesel Blazer but also my 2000 LS1 Firebird, 85 5.0 Mustang and my 2002 Kia Rio with a 4 cylinder. My thinking is that it will flow well at start-up and since it is a synthitic, the 40 weight will not be too thick for the Kia or the LS1. I'm not worried at all about the Blazer or the Mustang as they have somewhat looser tolerances. I've been useing 0W30 Mobil 1 in the LS1 and the Kia and despite all the bad press about M1 and LS1s concerning oil consumption, I'm happy with it and have experieced no abnormal oil consumption in either the LS1 or Kia. Sorry for the long post, I'm new to the board and I'm quite curious about this oil as it's on sale and I can get it for about 3 bucks a qt. Normally it's a pretty expensive oil in the 5 dollar range. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

[ August 21, 2002, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: Judd ]

Rotella T Synthetic is a Group III (hydrocracked petroleum) oil. It's not a "true" synthetic like Mobil 1, but it's also only $12 a gallon at Walmart and it has a very good reputation with the VW diesel nerds.
I would say go for it.

I just wanted to say welcome to the board! It's nice to see another f-body owner! I have
a 95 Formula, and also previously owned a 98 Formula and a 95 Trans Am.

I hope you plan on doing oil analysis on the LS1, it'll be interesting to see the results.

Hey there Patman, actually I came over here from LS1.com after hearing about this place from you. Thanks for the tip, lots of good reading here!
grin.gif

Thanks for the Delvac tip. BTW, what is the going price on this oil?

quote:

Originally posted by dbrowne1:
Rotella T Synthetic is a Group III (hydrocracked petroleum) oil. It's not a "true" synthetic like Mobil 1, but it's also only $12 a gallon at Walmart and it has a very good reputation with the VW diesel nerds.
I would say go for it.

I take offence to your statement. I drive a VW TDI but am certainly not a nerd.
nono.gif
thumbsdown.gif

Back on topic -- I used Shell Rotella T for a while in my TDI. No complaints, except that it's a Group 3 oil. I've since switched to Group 4 CI-4 Amsoil 15w-40.
grin.gif

Judd I am certainly no expert but I have concerns about running a oil with high sulphated ash in those two catalyst cars foer extended periods of say 150K. Now I do not know the amount in the the Rotella but it might be something for you to consider because I think it is a pretty high amount. If it was a diesel motors one story,but you have late model gas engines
Now Phillips has a low sulphted ash HD 15/40 oil "1.0" which is quite low for a oil in that category . If you are not looking for drains above 5k or so,this might work for you. There are many oils to do the job,just not many reasonably priced PAO's. There are a couple of great syn blends though,again imo they are.

My thoughts are to stay with a good SL oil,there are some really good ones,some very bad ones as well imo with old time trusted names at that

Good luck in what you decide on and keep us posted!
smile.gif

[ September 17, 2002, 07:43 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I say go for it. Definitely better than any regular Group II dino. Have it analyzed and prove the naysayers wrong.

Look out. Group III oil haters abound
shocked.gif

However, I've never used Rotella. I'm switching over to Schaeffer Blend 5w30 and I hope it will be equal or better than the Rotella.

the 40 weight at temp is tempting though. If my wear numbers look high, I'll be trying out a 5w40 or 0w40.

Hey ya'll, found some Delvac 1 for 10 bucks a gal.. Bought 7 gal. of the stuff and I'm going to use it in the Mustang, Kia, and the Blazer. Going with Redline in the LS1. Thanks to everyone for the info you've sent my way.
smile.gif

Yep, it was miss-priced. They priced it as Delvac 1300 by the ticket. I'll go back in a few weeks to see if they have anymore at the same price. Got it from a nearby truck stop{Travel Centers of America}.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Judd:
Yep, it was miss-priced. They priced it as Delvac 1300 by the ticket. I'll go back in a few weeks to see if they have anymore at the same price. Got it from a nearby truck stop{Travel Centers of America}.
grin.gif

Tsk. Tsk. You're going to get the manager in deep do-do.
nono.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jjbula:

quote:

Originally posted by Judd:
grin.gif

Tsk. Tsk. You're going to get the manager in deep do-do.
nono.gif

Yes, but at least the manager will have learned his lesson, right!!

quote:

I won't make that mistake again

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
D1 1.3% Sulphated Ash. Not a cheap oil but US Military etc think it's the bees knees. It is a 'real' synthetic too.

The US Military also gets stuff from the lowest bidders too.

Military issued stuff is the absolute worst crap.

I.e. issued BDUs, boots, etc... aren't the same quality as military-spec BDUs and Boots made by the SAME manufacturers.

I don't know why - maybe they go thru QC or something before selling to civilians... but my Altama Jungle Boots (Mil-Spec) had MUCH BETTER craftsmanship than the issued boots.

I know here should be a difference in the Delvac 1 vs the other HD oils but in using the Mobil 1300 15/40 "great oil it seems" over the summer in my 302 Ford man did the fuel milaege suffer!

On one highway trip,I got the same milaege as the car got in town with a 10/40 oil

I got what I wanted out of it though,continued cleaning after Auto-RX treatment nd oil change,,now will throw some 131 Nuetra in it and run awhile and swich back to a conventional SL oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back