Roofers incorrectly installed roof... now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My parents went with a roofer that has a bbb A+ rating and supposedly have been in business for a long time. The city Inspector came out and found delamination or small bubbles where the tpo didn't seal. My dad also noticed ponding after pouring a 5 gallons onto the roof. This being a flat roof not many places have the skills or people to install. Any suggestions? Keep in mind the guy who installed the roof was supposedly the best guy for the job according to the contractor. He installed a roof on a local brewery hence why we went with them. Thanks for the help if any of you have dealt with a similar problem.

No I ment to mention the city Inspector failed thecroof. Gave it two years tops if its not fixed.

Tell the contractor of the problem and what the inspector said. Give him the opportunity to correct the issues. If he doesn't, sue him for the cost of a new roof plus legal expenses

Originally Posted by PW01
Tell the contractor of the problem and what the inspector said. Give him the opportunity to correct the issues. If he doesn't, sue him for the cost of a new roof plus legal expenses

+1

+2

This is not unusual these days, the great recession tanked a lot of good construction firms and many skilled workers left the business. Demand is so high now that shoddy work is the norm.

Last edited:

+3

Not passing code/failing inspection is a contractual issue, your contractor failed. They have to make it right and get it past inspection. If they do not, get a lawyer and sue. But give them a chance to fix it first.

Originally Posted by HangFire
Not passing code/failing inspection is a contractual issue, your contractor failed. They have to make it right and get it past inspection. If they do not, get a lawyer and sue. But give them a chance to fix it first.

^^^This!
Plus, show the contractor the inspection report but, don't give him the original as these things tend to get lost.
Yes, the contractor has to make it right but, find out your legal rights in regards to what is considered, "fixing it in a timely manner".

Also, find out exactly what the contractor has to fix(by law) about the roof or if the roof need a whole tear off and start over. You don't want the roof to look all pieced together/butchered.

Originally Posted by anndel

+3

+4

Originally Posted by NO2
This is not unusual these days, the great recession tanked a lot of good construction firms and many skilled workers left the business. Demand is so high now that shoddy work is the norm.

Yep. And roofing industry probably has a high turnover due to the difficult work.

The roofing trade has deteriorated in my area, too. I talked to a carpenter, and he said he can no longer recommend any local companies.

I had innumerable problems with my supposedly top-rated company on my roof a couple of years ago.

Did the contractor pull the permits, or you?

Around here the contractor often does it.

You have a legitimate issue, an official body failed their work. You paid for passing work.

But call and follow up anyway.

As others have said, give him a chance to correct it. The town failed it so [censored] obviously have a lawsuit on his hands if he declines. After that, start blasting his reviews online to get the word out, and try to find the next best guy on that list to go over the work.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by NO2

Yep. And roofing industry probably has a high turnover due to the difficult work.
It's seasonal where it snows, and unskilled/semi-skilled labour is dominated by illegals where it doesn't (according to my research). It's hard for little guys to make money, and larger companies will literally hire anyone with a pulse if they show up on time.

Welcome to the construction industry of 2018. Stagnant wages means anyone with any sense will pick a more skilled trade, or do something else entirely.

Roofers seem to be the worst offender for bad work because most non-construction workers don't know what to look for, and will never inspect their roof personally. It's easy to hide things.

Originally Posted by ET16
The roofing trade has deteriorated in my area, too. I talked to a carpenter, and he said he can no longer recommend any local companies.

The roofing business is booming around here! Metal roofing has gone crazy popular, because of the lower price, the ability to lay down fur strips and slap it over your existing roof, no inspections.

Not like the old days where you had to pry off the old shingles and fix water damage. Even the Amish has taken up the gig.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back