Rodenticide and Outdoor Bait Stations

Saw a medium-sized mouse in my backyard….it seems to be taking residence behind my shed.

This section of my property has had some rodent activity in the past; I think it is due to one of my neighbors. Unfortunately we have a rattlesnake issue in this area, so I assume that controlling the rodent population is critical.

I am researching rodenticides and outdoor tamper proof bait stations. Unfortunately the products available to CA resident is getting quite limited, so I am interested in hearing recommendations on which products are most effective.

For the record, I have no pets or backyard visitors.

Rodenticide: https://pestcontrol.basf.us/products/selontra--rodent-bait.html

Bait station: https://www.domyown.com/protecta-evo-express-bait-station-p-2243.html

Thanks!

If you can put it in a place where it's protected from any rain, these are quite effective. I use bits of Nutri-Grain bars for bait ever since I found that they ate every single one in a box that was in the pantry:

They also have a wi-fi version with an app that tells you when it has caught a mouse:

Here is a thread about mine around my travel trailer.

The rattlesnakes probably control the rodent population, so control of either one is a double edged sword.

I prefer to use killer traps over poison in preliminary attempts. There is nothing worse than the odor of a poisoned dead rodent dying inside the wall of your home, furnace duct, etc.. You have to be extra careful with baits outdoors to prevent any accidents with wildlife secondary poisoning, pets, and children. I once had an incident where deer mice removed bait pellets from stations, cached them in piles, and someone's pet got a hold of enough to require veterinary action. I see that the Selontra has a few California use restrictions you need to be aware of. It seems to be different than the more common anti-coagulatory poisons and might work well?

Maybe use Bill Murray Caddy Shack methods, i.e., end up blowing up your shed!

We use the same bait stations that you referenced in your post. In those bait stations we use Contrac Blocks which were specifically recommended by an exterminator. No secondary kill for that type of bait, so you wont be killing whatever eats the dead mouse. Its been pretty effective for us. Do lose the key to the bait station!

Around me it's chipmunks. But they become immune or aware. It also kills the hawks and owls. I feed feral cats now.

For mice and chipmunks, I use 5 gallon buckets filled with water to about 4" below the rim. Float a layer of black oil sunflower seed on the surface. Lean a stick hanging over. They jump in and drown. Often I catch two or three at the same time. Toss or bury the carcasses; usually I leave them on the forest floor and something wanders along and eats them. Have also surprised a bear bobbing for chipmunks lol. I do this spring and fall, repeating until I don't catch anything. No poison needed.

You can get a 12" conveyor roller and then drill a couple 1/4" holes in the top of a 5 gal bucket to mount it. Then put peanut butter on it. They will drop in the bucket when they get on the roller.

Yeah, I use a bucket trap like the last two posts above, but I bought it off amazon.

My biggest reason is that mice will eat the poison and then get eaten by owls and other predators before they die, and you are then poisoning owls and hawks, which is not cool.

Update:

Ordered a few of the Protecta Evo Express Bait Stations and Selontra.

@spasm3 I went with Selontra over Fastrac for this reason -- supposedly Bromethalin has no antidote?

1686844147796.jpg

Source: https://agsci.oregonstate.edu/sites...sci/rodenticides_and_secondary_poisoning2.pdf

Around me it's chipmunks. But they become immune or aware. It also kills the hawks and owls. I feed feral cats now.
Same. I think they are inside part of the house now too which I need to deal with ASAP. Part of our basement has a crawl space where a sunroom as built a while back. I think they are getting in.

Update:

@spasm3 I went with Selontra over Fastrac for this reason -- supposedly Bromethalin has no antidote?

View attachment 161361
Source: https://agsci.oregonstate.edu/sites...sci/rodenticides_and_secondary_poisoning2.pdf
Yes thats my understanding. There is basically no treatment or antidote.

But it has a lower risk of secondary chain animal poisoning, Like hawks or owls. Thats why i chose it. I have less risk of dogs or children getting to it.

Yes thats my understanding. There is basically no treatment or antidote.

But it has a lower risk of secondary chain animal poisoning, Like hawks or owls. Thats why i chose it. I have less risk of dogs or children getting to it.
The very low LD50 of Bromethalin (2mg/kg - extremely hazardous) and the fact that it is a nerve poison are two more factors to consider when using it.

For perspective, the LD50 of aspirin is 200 and malathion insecticide is 5,400.

Update:

View attachment 161361
The very low LD50 of Bromethalin (2mg/kg - extremely hazardous) and the fact that it is a nerve poison are two more factors to consider when using it.

For perspective, the LD50 of aspirin is 200 and malathion insecticide is 5,400.
If pet or human inadvertant contact is a concern, I would not use bait, only mechanical control. I don't have those concerns, especially with a bait box screwed down to boards. And the secondary poisoning of other wildlife was a concern. Bormethalin is reputed to be a much lower chance of secondary poisoning.

Back