Robert "Napoleon Solo" Vaughn has died

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently it was yesterday, of acute leukemia. He was 83 and is survived by his wife of some 40 years.

RV, both as Solo and in other roles, was a role model for me. To this day when I read or reread a favorite adventure or mystery story, his image (clean-cut, dashing, authoritative) is what pops into my mind. Beyond that, he was highly intelligent, and a Ph.D., no less.

Here's to you, Dr. Vaughn. When I get to heaven, I'll look you up. You and Robert Culp both have great stories to tell.

Believe it or not, my first exposure to him was in the 1980 film Battle Beyond the Stars.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is one of my fondest memories of childhood; I saved my allowance to buy all the MFU toys that I could. Godspeed. Mr. Vaughn.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
The Man From U.N.C.L.E. is one of my fondest memories of childhood; I saved my allowance to buy all the MFU toys that I could. Godspeed. Mr. Vaughn.

I have a mint condition original press copy of that album. I think I bought it at Goodwill for 25 cents.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I think he was also the last surviving of the Magnificent 7.

He was indeed -- he even survived Eli Wallach, who played the bandit chieftain. Someone above mentioned Battle Beyond the Stars. I've never seen that flick. Isn't his character modeled on the losing-his-nerve gunfighter he played in Magnificent Seven?

He said in his memoir that he'd parlayed his 15 minutes of fame into a 50-year career: first weak younger sons and the like in Westerns and TV dramas, and in Young Philadelphians; then a continuing role in the Marine Corps in Gene Roddenberry's The Lieutenant; and then U.N.C.L.E. After that he went on to do mature character roles, like his ineffectual politician in Bullitt, a caring surgeon in The Mind of Mr. Soames (a good SF film, by the way), and a raft of villainous fat cats in suits. He even appeared once or twice as the same character on Law and Order, in the days when his spy-TV contemporary, Steven Hill, was a regular -- and they had scenes together.

He played at least 3 U.S. presidents, either on stage or TV, either in the White House or before. Can anybody name them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back