Roasting A Turkey...Fresh Or Frozen?

First off, I’m not starting a debate over cooking methods. I know some like to fry while others like to smoke. Whatever your choice, good on ya...hope you enjoy.

For Thanksgiving, the only bird I’ve ever enjoyed is an oven-roasted bird...usually a frozen Honeysuckle though I’m sure at some time there was a Butterball or a store brand. But now Mom is too old to cook a big meal so I end up taking her to my sister’s house for dinner. For better or worse, Sis cooks a bird the way that family is used to...and it makes me want to gag. She uses an electric roaster (which might be okay on it’s own) with the bird inside one of those plastic roasting bags. I would never complain so I just zip my lip, grin and bear it but I think it tastes awful. The meat is almost flavorless and the gravy is a horror. I would truthfully rather have a Swanson turkey tv dinner if it were up to me.

If you are also one of the roast-only crowd, do you have a preference for fresh or frozen? This week no-name frozens seem to be around $1/lb though there are exceptions while name-brands seem to be about $1.50. Fresh turkeys are whatever the store wants to call “Amish” at ~$2.69, or a so-called “premium” brand (always a name I’ve never heard of before) at $3.39 and up. I’ve toyed with the idea of buying a premium brand (though I find it hard to justify the cost) and twisting Sis’s arm to cook it instead of the frozen store-brand she will buy in the hope of a slightly better result. Is my hope in vain? Will I endure the same disappointment for a higher cost? Or could a premium fresh bird save the day?

GrtArtiste

I can tell you that based upon our experience, a fresh bird is typically tastier.
I can also tell you that you won't see any difference is quality between a store brand bird and a name brand bird in frozen turkeys. I suspect that they come from the same sources in any event.
For sure a smaller bird will end up tastier than a large one, maybe because the longer cooking time required for a larger bird dries out the breast meat. Two small turkeys rather than one large one might make sense for a large gathering.
Any turkey also responds well to brining and you can find the instructions on doing this using Google.
Anyway, we roasted an eleven pounder last Sunday that we bought at fifty nine cents a pound and it was delicious. This was a frozen store brand turkey. I gave it just a dusting of poultry season and a little less than four hours at 325F.
Deep frying a turkey seems like too much trouble to me although they are moist and tasty prepared that way if you can get someone else to do it.

I never could chew one frozen, so roasted would be better..imho
50.gif

For smoking, it seems to make no difference. For oven roasting, fresh seems to be less dry, even when cooked properly. The problem is that there is usually not a lot of fresh ones in the stores, and not many really large 20+lbs when i buy. I smoke so i do frozen.

Offer to make some giblet gravy and smother the turkey with it on your plate. Enjoy all the side dishes and the company of others. Turkey quality shouldn't be on the list of importance for the day.

I'm roasting one in a pan with a rack INSIDE a Weber grill. I want the pan to catch the gravy makings.

I will throw on a smoke chip or two as the bird cooks.

Many moons ago my Dad smoked a turkey a Weber kettle grill. Maiden voyage for all elements. Talk about beginner's luck!

I arrived late and got to see a surgically cleaned carcass. It was as if the carcass had been placed in a vat of soft tissue dissolver.

ps A joke I heard years ago: "Turkey, it's so dry they put it between two pieces of white bread to give it moisture". Kira

You are better off with a roasting pan with water under the bird and foil over everything ,than those bags. The real key is not to over cook the bird. If you get it too hot , you render all the fat out if it and the breast is tough and dry.

Use a mechanical leave in thermometer, cook it at 250-265 degrees until you get a 150 degree meat reading. quickly set the turkey in a foil pan and cover it with heavy duty foil( silver side in) and let it sit out of the oven an hour. It will continue to cook on the counter to the 160 degree mark. It will be moist and done.

p.s. make sure the bird is thawed out , and you remove the neck and giblets.

Last edited:
I dislike turkey yet as usual the wife has one in the fridge, Grass fed Beef is my kind of meat.`

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
Fresh Or Frozen?

It depends. A fresh turkey tends to have a slightly different flavor than a frozen turkey. Frozen turkeys raised in factories are also pumped full of antibiotic to make them plump, whereas a fresh turkey is most likely to have a natural, organic diet. Fresh turkey can have a lot of different flavors depending upon where they're raised and what's available for them to eat.

You can also brine a turkey to enhance the flavor, even for roasting. I like a combination of vegetable broth, kosher salt, honey and rosemary for just about any turkey that I do, fresh or frozen. You can also use a rubs and/or injections to enhance the flavor.

I'll agree that the plain old "roast in a bag" turkey is pretty pathetic. It's not hard to get creative and really up the flavor of the thanksgiving bird.

Frozen turkeys are the left over fresh turkeys from last year. We got ours free. It will thaw in a few days.

Heh heh there are prolly more wild turkeys in Plymouth than there were in Pilgrim Times White tail deer too. Food in general rises and falls with the cooker rather than the cookee.
grin2.gif

PS. having a spiral cut ham string beans and home made mac-cheese with my daughter and the grand boys. MDW is joining #1 son at FIL's and then on to a Mexican resort. I'm staying home and we'll both have a great time.
grin2.gif

A large frozen bird will take days to thaw and occupy a lot of space. Fresh is ready for brining and rubbing and will benefit from the treatment. IMHO, any bird not properly seasoned and prep'd will be not only dry, but very, very bland. The bird we eat today is not at all the same as our ancestors and definitely not "wild". Lastly, "modern" birds, including chickens, are bred for large breasts. Flavor takes a back seat. IOW, there's still no free lunch...or tasty-turkey.

Don't make the mistake of brining an "enhanced" bird. It'll be way too salty. A Kosher bird is already salted and will save you time + it'll taste better. Well worth the cost.

One simple way to greatly improve the taste of a baked bird is to go to Williams-Sonoma and buy a jar of their turkey wet rub/paste, in either flavor. I like to warm it then stir well. The skin needs to be DRY before applying. A TBLSPN at a time, slide it under the skin all over and spread with fingers. Then rub all over the skin + inside the cavity. This rub is actually salty/sweet/savory enough to truly flavor a bird. Most are not. Go ahead and taste it and you'll see what I mean. It needs to be that strong to put flavor into flavor-less meat.

Use a true meat thermometer, not that stupid plastic cheap thing.

Williams-Sonoma has some great guides on this, plus making TRUE great gravy. It needs to start with a roux and you need to brown it. Yeah, it takes time but so does changing your oil and cleaning your engine! Just roux (do) it. It'll be the best dam gravy you've ever tasted if you're not used to the real thing! Don't laugh if your dinner guests want to lick the plate.....

Finally, WS has a great recipe for a bread-based (as opposed to corn-meal)dressing: Mushrooms, sausage, lots of savory herbs, cranberries, apples, walnuts & more. Incredible, rich, deep, earthy flavor.

My Mother was a great cook. However she died when I was very young. My old mans second wife was not and boiled the flavor out of everything. So did the relatives. Thus I was motivated to learn to cook flavorful, hearty, savory food, with deep, rich flavors. It's not that difficult nor expensive. Make some compound herb butter to go with the rolls. Roast a few heads of garlic and add a bit into everything...including the butter.

With all said, I keep my mouth shut when sitting at someone else's table. To do so otherwise is to be rude.

Reactions: GON
I'm going with brining our turkey before cooking it in a pan on the kettle grill.

Should I cover the bird with foil since it's under the Weber grill's dome? I assume it wouldn't hurt.

I saw the brine recipe above. How long do I brine it? I assume something like 6 hours, no? Kira

Originally Posted By: Kira
I'm going with brining our turkey before cooking it in a pan on the kettle grill.

Should I cover the bird with foil since it's under the Weber grill's dome? I assume it wouldn't hurt.

I saw the brine recipe above. How long do I brine it? I assume something like 6 hours, no? Kira

I would leave it uncovered the first hour,( i might even leave it out of the pan the first hour) to absorb some charcoal smoke flavor. Then i would put water( some like apple juice) in the pan and cover with foil( shiny side inside), poke the thermometer in a good spot and go. I'd try to keep the interior grill temp under 325.

Last edited:
GOT IT! Brine 12 to 24 hours, pat dry, roast. You have the option to dry it for an additional 24 hours in a fridge for crispy skin. This is what I'll do.

Thanks for answering spasm3!

Cheers now I need a stuffing recipe! Kira

Neighbor raises us a turkey every year absolutely the best flavor just picked up on way home from work. Butchered today scaled it at 38lbs dressed no not a misprint it's 38lbs about the average I get every year.

First off, I’m not starting a debate over cooking methods. I know some like to fry while others like to smoke. Whatever your choice, good on ya...hope you enjoy.

For Thanksgiving, the only bird I’ve ever enjoyed is an oven-roasted bird...usually a frozen Honeysuckle though I’m sure at some time there was a Butterball or a store brand. But now Mom is too old to cook a big meal so I end up taking her to my sister’s house for dinner. For better or worse, Sis cooks a bird the way that family is used to...and it makes me want to gag. She uses an electric roaster (which might be okay on it’s own) with the bird inside one of those plastic roasting bags. I would never complain so I just zip my lip, grin and bear it but I think it tastes awful. The meat is almost flavorless and the gravy is a horror. I would truthfully rather have a Swanson turkey tv dinner if it were up to me.
I understand you. I'm 33 and had to take matters into my own hands. I convinced my mother and sisters to let me buy all the ingredients and I'm taking charge of the Turkey this year with my dad. I would say a prayer and politely bring your concerns to your sister and see if she is willing. If the food turns out delicious then everyone will be happy and you'll be happy too.
Neighbor raises us a turkey every year absolutely the best flavor just picked up on way home from work. Butchered today scaled it at 38lbs dressed no not a misprint it's 38lbs about the average I get every year.
I got a turkey from my local farmer as well. She said I got her largest turkey at 25 pounds. It's in my fridge taking up most of the room. 38 pounds is huge hahahaha WOW
Local farm raised is the way to go. Very cool. That's a good neighbor because local farm raised turkeys near me go from $7-9 /lb so your turkey is pushing close to $300. Enjoy!
Fresh hands down.

Typically they need ordered so make your decision fast.
WholeFoods has plenty of fresh organic turkeys, but otherwise yup!

Back