Roadmaster Granite Peak, oh what a feeling!

MrQuackers

Site Donor 2024
I just had this 18 speed MTB(LOL) delivered from Wally for less than 100 bucks. Put it together and made some small adjustments and took it around the neighborhood. Need to do some more fine tuning to the rear derailleur but it gets the job done.

I got this as a cheap grocery getter that will not be a target of druggie thieves as long as it has pretty much any lock on it.

I know this bike will need constant tinkering but no biggie, I will probably make some 'upgrades' like a good used 7 speed wheel and a new eBay Tourney derailleur.

I know the saying 'you get what you pay for' but what the heck I am not going to enduro this clunker.

I will after some break in miles, service wheel bearings and bottom bracket.

Might put on a cyclometer to see how many miles this beast can accumulate.

Forget the cyclometer.
The worse part of your bike is the machine built wheels. The spokes can be properly adjusted and properly tensioned which would make a big difference but having a bike shop do it would be costly and not worth it.

Took the beast for a 5 mile ride, will need to do some tinkering to the derailleur. Perhaps removing a couple chain links will resolve the issue, as in first gear the derailleur pulley is touching the freewheel cog. I have a stash of parts, so I will probably just put a different derailleur on it.

I have an eBay cyclometer coming Monday.

Well, I decided to return the Roadmaster. Really easy return at Walmart. Gave legitimate reason, rear derailleur is too sloppy, imprecise. Roadmaster is substituting Shimano with Microshift brand, which they claim is equal or superior quality. BARBARA STREISAND!!! Also, the rear wheel was not properly dished, far off to the left seatstay.

I might have dealt with it and swapped some parts I have but that Ground Assault fork, ugh, deal breaker. The brakes were actually acceptable.

So, I rummaged through my stash of parts and assembled this old school bike. Got the bike cheap at an auction house years ago because it was missing a few parts. I got 3 of these cyclometers for 10 bucks on eBay, works just fine.

Attachments

• 20210416_201754.jpg
    20210416_201754.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210416_201820.jpg
    20210416_201820.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 20210416_201901.jpg
    20210416_201901.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 10
Back