RLI's BIO-PLUS is or is not also an UCL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a fuel conditioner for our gasoline vehicle with a DI engine which also provides true upper cylinder lubrication.

I see at RLI's website that for their Bio-Power Soy based Diesel Fuel Conditioner they specifically state that it "..supplements upper cylinders and valve train with anti-wear protection". However I see no such claim for their BIO-PLUS Injector Cleaner Gas Conditioner
frown.gif

That seems a bit odd.
21.gif

Thanks Bruce for checking. I have just placed an order for a bottle of the Bio-Plus. It will arrive by mail. But I wonder what is the difference between these two RLI conditioners so that one of them is advertised as an UCL and the other is not?
54.gif

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Sure but you don't want or need a fuel system cleaner you just want an UCL.

What kind of lubricant/ingredient(s) makes an UCL? Was there ever consensus as to whether even "simple" vegetable oil will work?

Last edited:
MMO or TCW3 would be my choices. Both MMO and TCW3 have been used successfully for many years with good results, both are a very good UCL products. TCW3 will be the least expensive.

I've been using this product for the last few months. I like it very much as a cleaner and a UCL. For cleaning I use one 16 oz bottle added to a tank of 16 gallons of fuel every 1000 miles. For another vehicle that I am more interested in UCL properties I add 3 oz to every 10 gallons of gas routinely. Both of these are recommended dosages by LE for gas engines. Here's a link:

http://www.le-inc.com/products/documents/2300_flyer.pdf

The product comes in cases of 12 pint bottles. A case costs about $60.

I haven't tried it for the other recommended uses, but if I get stumped on something I might try it.

You are welcome! Please report back your observations. They will be helpful, especially since we have no real scientific way to prove one way or another the effectiveness of anything we try adding to gas or oil. But testimony increases in power, better idle and increased mpgs are certainly good evidence the product is doing something when added to gas. JMO

I am a bit stuck as MMO is not available in Canada and I think it would be my first choice. I need StevieC again to bring more USA only
34.gif
products back to Canada
08.gif

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Sure but you don't want or need a fuel system cleaner you just want an UCL.

What kind of lubricant/ingredient(s) makes an UCL? Was there ever consensus as to whether even "simple" vegetable oil will work?

There's no question vegetable oil should work, any oil will work, but TCW3 is likely the cleanest.

BTW, I run canola oil in the gas at 100:1 in my B&S lawnmower because I like the smell. It smells very similar if not the same as castor oil. I've run olive oil as well, which smells the same. I do it just for fun of it as it reminds me of the castor based Castrol 'R' I used as a kid when I raced motocross.
I'm currently running it in my Caterham and have on and off over the years. I've noticed no difference is the cars running, I just like the smell and the concept that the UCL may be beneficial.

I am a bit stuck as MMO is not available in Canada and I think it would be my first choice. I need StevieC again to bring more USA only
34.gif
products back to Canada
08.gif

IIRC, MMO is available by the gallon at Home hardware (I think he said). Someone posted on one of the frequent MMO threads.

IIRC, MMO is available by the gallon at Home hardware (I think he said).

Home Hardware has a very detailed on line catalogue that I have made use of in the past and MMO is not listed. However Lucas' UCL is shown
21.gif

Last edited:
I know at one time Cdn Tire carried it.
If not Home Hardware then it's another chain or if you really want the stuff (other than through Steve which is likely the cheapest route) contact MMO for Cdn retailers.

contact MMO for Cdn retailers.

Have done so. We will see what they say.

Just got off the phone. According to the rep MMO is no longer distributed in Canada. I asked why and quickly he replied......

The company refuses to do bilingual packaging!
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back