RIP -Jim Brown

#32 is still the only running back to average 100 yards per game. He quit football at the age of 30 at his peak to make movies...
A man of contradictions; he spoke out loudly for civil rights but was abusive towards women. Jim Brown called out Michael Jordan and Tiger for their silence on racial injustices yet called out others for their doing so.

RIP Mr. Brown.

I played little league “ what it was called then “ football in 1965 when I was 12 and was lucky enough to wear #32. He was one of my NFL heroes back in the day. RIP #32!

He set the standard, Rest In Peace Mr. Brown, life well lived...think about the cultural changes he was witness to. Can you imagine Brown, Riggins, Emmitt, Barry Sanders in rotation? "We don't need no stinkin' receivers!"

Jim Brown and Jim Thorpe have to be two of the all-time greatest athletes, excelling at multiple sports. With today's training and nutrition methods, think how much greater Brown might have been. Not a fan of his partner abuse, but Brown did plenty of other good things off the field.

On the NFL channel a show called something like "A football Life" portrays many, many NFL players. The one on Jim Brown is well worth a watch.

I actually met a gentleman at Williamsburg Landing who was actually… Jim Brown’s roommate when he was at Syracuse University… That was quite a interesting meeting and conversation there.

The greatest

RIP

I say one of the Greatest…

Funny as I talked with my patient last night I said Jim Brown and Jerry Rice were the 2 greatest NFL players of all time in my opinion.

What Jim did and Jerry did in their own era of football was so far beyond any of their contemporaries. That… is my defining standard of greatness in a particular sport.

Think about Babe Ruth… who was hitting 40-60 homeruns in a era when the next highest guy was at 30 typically. There were years when Ruth hit more HRs than whole teams did…

Jim Brown was well ahead of HOF Jim Taylor of the Packers from that same era in football.

Don Hutson HOF of the Green Bay Packers wide receiver was the same way…. He caught more yards and TDs than whole NFL teams did in his time in the NFL. He caught 17 TD passes in only a 11 game season along with over 1,200 plus yards that same season. Don Hutson was clearly the Jerry Rice of his era..His 99 TDS was a record for touchdowns for 40 plus years… Steve Largent broke the record with his 100th TD reception in 1989.

Back