RIP David Crosby

The Byrds have always been one of my favorite groups. If you want to have your mind blown, play their 45 b-sides and non-hit album cuts. Pre-Flyte by The Byrds is a must have. It's songs they did as The Beefeaters right before their name change to The Byrds and recording their Mr Tambourine Man album.

Crosby Stills Nash & Young was one of my favorite bands. Crosby was very talented. He did not lead an easy life, much of it brought on by himself.
81 years of life ain't bad for someone who abused himself...as many 'rock stars' do.

The Byrds have always been one of my favorite groups. If you want to have your mind blown, play their 45 b-sides and non-hit album cuts. Pre-Flyte by The Byrds is a must have. It's songs they did as The Beefeaters right before their name change to The Byrds and recording their Mr Tambourine Man album.
One of my most played Byrds albums has been the double release called "Untitled." Features McGuinn with the late guitar wizard Clarence White.

Crosby was a very talented songwriter and had a wonderful singing voice that didn't seem to be diminished by age or abuse. I suspect that he would have had a long career post-Byrds even if he had never linked up with Stills and Nash although probably not at that same superstar level.

I still have a few of his solo LP's or albums done with just Nash. I think I'll spin them this weekend and abuse my liver (just a bit) in his honor.

I don’t think I have that one. I have original mono pressings all the way up to The Notorious Byrd Brothers.
Ever heard of this one? It was a big deal when released by Roger McGuinn. All kind of folks played on it including Crosby. Word was Crosby never gave up trying to reunite the Byrds with all the guys who were still with us. McGuinn would not do it for a variety of reasons.

I liked him. He was a bit more genuine than most. His talent came in spurts and he knew it and harnessed it, even into his 70's.

Certainly more talented and real than that clown Neil Young.
Right. At some time since the 90s it appears as if (Neil Young) cheese has slipped off his cracker? He reminds me today of some washed up long irrelevant Hollywierd actor. I cant help it but.... For some reason when I hear Neil Young I instantly imagine some of the creepy characters that the very talented Jack Nicholson has played? I have no idea how/why I connect those two in my head. Maybe just a lingering concussion? 🤪

Last edited:
At some time since the 90s it appears as if his cheese has slipped off his cracker? He reminds me today of some washed up long irrelevant Hollywierd actor. I cant help it but.... For some reason when I hear Neil Young I instantly imagine some of the creepy characters that the very talented Jack Nicholson has played? I have no idea how/why I connect those two in my head. Maybe just a lingering concussion? 🤪
This. Plus the usual hippy people now in 2020.

The man sucks. Unless it's our man.

Most heart-felt! So sad

Ohio was a great song about a tragedy in my generation, but it was Neil Young who wrote and sang it. Crosby, Stills and Nash and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young were two great albums. I still have both, but on CD now. David Crosby was definitely part of that greatness and going over a list of his best songs, I cannot pick one. Maybe Wooden Ships.

PS. When I joined the National Guard in 1973, part of our training was to ensure Kent State never happened again.

His addictions and bad habits wrecked his health, and he was on his way to an early grave in the early 1990s. He had a liver transplant in 1994, cleaned up his act a lot, and extended his life almost 30 more years.
Oh yeah. Crosby. He came a long long ways and had some good years with the help of people who cared for him.

We were joking about one of Dave Crosby's ex partners in music.

I always liked Neil Young. To me, Neil Young is The Buffalo Springfield (his best work). He wrote their best songs.

Ohio was a great song about a tragedy in my generation, but it was Neil Young who wrote and sang it. Crosby, Stills and Nash and Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young were two great albums. I still have both, but on CD now. David Crosby was definitely part of that greatness and going over a list of his best songs, I cannot pick one. Maybe Wooden Ships.

PS. When I joined the National Guard in 1973, part of our training was to ensure Kent State never happened again.
Thank you for the 1973 Guard update. Good to know.

Back