Ring Door Bell Motion Light

Hello, I have a Ring door bell at my front door already, but would like to add a camera by my garage. Has anyone used the Ring motion light camera? is there a better choice for motion cameras with or without lights? Thanks.

We had one, it was pretty nice. Took decent videos, had a built in alarm you could trigger though the app, leave the lights on auto or manually turn them on, and you could draw zones for it to detect in and disregard everything else (useful if it's pointed at a road, like we had).

If your talking about the Ring with the two motion spot lights and camera I have installed one for a neighbors son at his house. I have installed many cameras and motion lights in my lifetime and this Ring was the first I have ever done as a combination. .

I was VERY impressed with the quality of the unit itself, I feel the higher cost is justified. AS far as long term durability I cant comment but I will say, if I wanted that type of device it would be on the top of my list to research and possibly buy.
The nice part about that unit is, the motion spot lights kick on and camera starts recording, this gives you a heck of A LOT more light then cameras only using IR.
After I left the house, he sent me a photo the camera took as I was leaving, it was in full color and very clear.

I have my home cameras set up in a similar way but they are not one unit. Anyway, since you asked I thought I would comment, it was really nicely made.

Last edited:
I've got two. Easy to install. Easy to set up. Uses existing network and account. Easy to adjust motion zones and sensitivity. Works very well. HD picture.

Great choice.

I went through the saga of trying to pick what cameras to install outside our home/around our property in January. I almost went with the Arlo cameras, but the reviews were horrible.

I bought two Ring Spotlight cameras. One is battery powered, the other is hardwired (plugging into a receptacle). The battery powered unit - I bought the solar panel for and it keeps the battery charged. You can also just buy two batteries and have one charged and replace them as needed. For me, this meant dragging a 12' step ladder out to service the camera. I chose to spend $50 on the solar panel.

I like them. They have a great field of view, are clear and just work. I have one mounted on the fascia of a shed that is 1/2 way between the road we live on and our house (150' from the road, 150' from the house). It will "see" vehicles through fairly thick brush/trees going down the road at night that have a lot of flashing lights (garbage truck, wrecker, fire/ambulance/police car). Spiders also tend to build lines/webs in this area, setting off the camera quite often.

I highly recommend the Ring cameras. They are weatherproof, work great, the app is great and very easy to setup and get installed. They also include everything to install in them in any situation I can think of. Wood, brick, masonry, etc. They did a great job thinking of stuff. The cord on the corded unit is at least 20' long. I simply drilled a large enough hole in the soffit of the shed to shove the plug through and caulked it up later. It's a shed- no one cares/notices.

Most of what sets our cameras off is bugs (spiders) and wildlife. Deer, squirrels, raccoons, even armadillos. I have a good, clear view of people driving down our driveway or walking.

I'd buy them again without thinking.

I did upgrade our wifi routers. We had some 8-10 year old Netgear routers where were just not getting the job done as far as throwing the signal out far enough for the cameras to use efficiently. I bought some new Netgear Orbi routers and BAM! all good.

Last edited:
I'll also note that I would NEVER put anyone's camera/recording/listening device in our house.

I was shocked at how people went beserk about how the Ring indoor cameras were hacked, but 99% of those people had an Alexa or Google listening device.

If our cameras get hacked, they will see/hear mostly a view of a yard in a rural setting and some birds chirping.

Originally Posted by thooks
I'll also note that I would NEVER put anyone's camera/recording/listening device in our house.

I was shocked at how people went beserk about how the Ring indoor cameras were hacked, but 99% of those people had an Alexa or Google listening device.

If our cameras get hacked, they will see/hear mostly a view of a yard in a rural setting and some birds chirping.

This is exactly why I just bought a non-WiFi baby monitor for the upcoming family addition. Ring doorbell which works great, but I also don't like the Alexa/Google Home idea. Granted, we all have smartphones in the pocket and many smart TVs have mics, so you really do have to live under a rock anymore to not have anything in your home that is somewhat susceptible.

Coworker has one and has shown me the yard work he had done over the weekend. Very good picture. He loves it. Makes me want one.

I love ours. Have the floodlight cameras hardwired, one at the side of my house and one on the front porch, they replaced existing light fixtures. The lights are programmed to come on with a timer. My neighbor loves it, as it lights up the side of both of our houses.

I put one at the front of my grandpa's house to replace the front light and one on the back porch, that one runs on the battery, which lasts 2-3 weeks (can put 2 in if you want).

Excellent picture quality, captures all motion, very customizable etc.

I have 4. 2 floodlights, 2 battery cameras. All linked. They are awesome. The night vision works great! This was the other night dark and rainy. Some nights I see creatures lurking. Moose. Deer. Bobcat. And I like the close neighbor notifications. Nice feature.
[Linked Image]

Having a camera in the house is good advice for when you are away as you can always check up on the house, if you have an alarm system and it goes off while you are away its an excellent way to check up on the house. When you are home, all you have to do is simply unplug it and you are 100% secure.

As far as people who invite corporations into their home with Amazon Alexa or Google devices, well, you deserve to be spied on and information abused. My god, who on earth invites a company with 10s of thousands of people working for them to allow all of them to listen in, watch and record themselves and their children/families> talk about naive and downright ignorant.
At best, allowing google, amazon ect free access to their families, habits, motion and ways of living building physiological profiles of their babies, kids, young adults and teenagers, all so you dont have to get off their butt and turn on a light, adjust the temperature of the home, or do an internet search.
Unbelievable.... well, yes, it is believable, quite scary how they trust these corporations and ALL their employees. ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy

Having a camera in the house is good advice for when you are away as you can always check up on the house, if you have an alarm system and it goes off while you are away its an excellent way to check up on the house. When you are home, all you have to do is simply unplug it and you are 100% secure.

As far as people who invite corporations into their home with Amazon Alexa or Google devices, well, you deserve to be spied on and information abused. My god, who on earth invites a company with 10s of thousands of people working for them to allow all of them to listen in, watch and record themselves and their children/families> talk about naive and downright ignorant.
At best, allowing google, amazon ect free access to their families, habits, motion and ways of living building physiological profiles of their babies, kids, young adults and teenagers, all so you dont have to get off their butt and turn on a light, adjust the temperature of the home, or do an internet search.
Unbelievable.... well, yes, it is believable, quite scary how they trust these corporations and ALL their employees. ...

Well put, plus with your choice of user name I will take this advice to heart.

^^^ Thank you ^^^

I say it all the time, they will sell their privacy and that of their children all in the name of "free". No different then the worlds oldest profession. :eek:)
Give up your privacy and worst of all your children's minds in exchange for something else.

Last edited:
Back