Rims with mold=leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had my tires rotated. As usual, tire pressure was not checked. I pulled my car up to a bay to get some air. The manager sent Mike out to put air in my tires. I told him I have always had slow leaks. My car is a 99 SL2 with Aluminum rims. He then told me the following:

Mold starts growing around the bead of rim causing the slow leaks. He said it is even worse with custom rims since they are plated. I cannot tell you how many times I have had them clean the bead and reinstall the tire to take care of the problem.

That would suck having custom rims that have a constant leaking problem.

To their credit the tires shop has taken care of all these leaks for free.

What do you guys think?

I would think that mold would not "grow" on the bead as the tire flexes and rubs this area in use??

Cars used in locations with road salt can suffer from corrosion in the bead area. That's one of the reasons that OEM "Chrome Rims" are aluminum alloys with Chrome Plastic hub-caps.

There are sealers and coatings that tire shops often use to mitigate these issues.

Finally, some rims can be porous all by themselves. We had a Geo (Isuzu) that suffered from loss of air...took us 'way past the warranty period to realize it was the rims and not the tires or bead seating causing the problem...

+3 on the corrosion. There's a black vulcanizing goo they can slap on to cut the leaks as well. They say "fix a flat" itself is corrosive! For all we know that black goo "Xtra seal" could be as well. But it'll work for a while.

I had corrosion in the bead area of the aluminum wheels. My tire shop ground down the rust, then treated the rims with linseed oil. Drove that car for 2-3 more years with no more leaks. It was around $10 per tire if I remember right. I think it was $40 for all 4.... That was a 1989 Olds Cutlass Ciera. My Astro has aluminum wheels and no issues so far....

I guess it does not matter. I carry an air compressor in my car so I can just put more air in when the slow leaks increase.

I'd believe corrosion but never heard of "mold" on a tire rim causing an air leak.

Last edited:
I've never seen mold growing on a rim either, but sometimes it'll grow on a tire. A moldy tire shouldn't be driven on regardless of how well you think it's been cleaned up. That tire is a blowout waiting to happen.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Mold on wheels!

I think it's only a problem if you run cheezy tires.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I think it's only a problem if you run cheezy tires.
wink.gif

Are you saying avoid tires from Wisconsin?
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back