Ridgid's lifetime warranty

about 15 years ago i bought a 18volt ridgid set with drill / impact/ saw and light. i dutifully registered the kit with ridgid. seems like every 3-5 years the batteries go bad. recently the batteries went bad again and a quick phone call to them and a couple of weeks later got new batteries. also , their CS was in the states .

never had an issue with the tools themselves, but i don't use them everyday so can't speak for the durabilty on a job site

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_144641.jpg
    IMG_20220331_144641.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 57
switched from dewalt battery tools due to poor battery life + since using Bosch prolly 6-8 years never needed any batteries!!!

Ridgid warranty is probably the best in the business but is not always what a buyer would expect. Satisfaction depends on the product/problem; batteries are simple replacements but the actual tools are repaired off site snd can take weeks to complete.

For example, I bought their corded palm sander a few years ago and it was great...for the first few months. Then it started to wobble and finally smoked the motor. The easiest warranty process would be a simple replacement at the local HD, but that is not how it works; they insisted that it is sent to the company for repair. Four weeks later they called to inform me that the repair was complete. The replacement lasted a few months before the wobble started again. Another call and they wanted me to send it away again. Because I was in the middle of a project and needed a sander asap, I chucked that POS and bought a different brand.

I used to go through a cordless drill every 18 month to 2 years. My 18v Ridgid cordless I have had 5 years plus.
I have gone through 3 replacement batteries and once the motor burned out. In both cases the replacement and repairs were prompt and easy.

my experience has been similar to @RyanY. they need a few days to evaluate my batteries but theyve always replaced them. it took them a few weeks to replace a failed flashlight. Sparks and flames shot out of my little /highly used/ 12.6v drill, and they needed a month to put a new motor in a case which is falling apart with a questionable trigger switch. Also, they only warranty the batteries which come with a tool, which are usually the smallest capacity. Bigger batteries sold separately do not get the lifetime warranty. realizing that, I’ve started using other brands if I prefer their tool, over staying strictly rigid.

the build quality of rigid still seems upper end. I like their stuff.

about 15 years ago i bought a 18volt ridgid set with drill / impact/ saw and light. i dutifully registered the kit with ridgid. seems like every 3-5 years the batteries go bad. recently the batteries went bad again and a quick phone call to them and a couple of weeks later got new batteries. also , their CS was in the states .

never had an issue with the tools themselves, but i don't use them everyday so can't speak for the durabilty on a job site
So, all you had to do was call them, tell them the batteries were bad, and they sent out new batteries?

I have 2 Ridgid drills (a 12v and an 18v), both of which I bought mainly because of the lifetime warranty. I kept the receipts just in case.

Both batteries on the 18v are now bad, and one of the 12v batteries is bad, and when I called, they said I had to send in the entire kit along with the batteries.

Seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

How’d you get them to just send you new batteries?

A maintenance guy at a previous job accidentally left his outside on a picnic table in the rain. Rigid replaced it.

No experience with them other than that. The wife bought me a Dewalt years ago so I just kept adding to that.

So, all you had to do was call them, tell them the batteries were bad, and they sent out new batteries?

I have 2 Ridgid drills (a 12v and an 18v), both of which I bought mainly because of the lifetime warranty. I kept the receipts just in case.

Both batteries on the 18v are now bad, and one of the 12v batteries is bad, and when I called, they said I had to send in the entire kit along with the batteries.

Seemed like more trouble than it was worth.

How’d you get them to just send you new batteries?
did you register them with ridgid within the 90 day period? if you did, they should have a record of it . All i did was call them and told them the batteries were no longer taking a charge. they asked me to do a couple of test and then said they would send me new ones. its been the same way each time i got new batteries. Never asked to send back the tools also.

if you did not register them then you are probably SOL when it comes to the lifetime warranty .

did you register them with ridgid within the 90 day period? if you did, they should have a record of it . All i did was call them and told them the batteries were no longer taking a charge. they asked me to do a couple of test and then said they would send me new ones. its been the same way each time i got new batteries. Never asked to send back the tools also.

if you did not register them then you are probably SOL when it comes to the lifetime warranty .
I think I did.

Maybe I’ll try calling again today.

I think peoples experience with Ridgid's LSA may depend where they live. Here service is performed by a local electrical repair shop. They are very accommodating. For batteries I just phone in with the serial # and they look it up to ensure the item is registered in the LSA program and then order a new battery, a couple of days later I go down and make the exchange old for new.
At that time I get a slip to register the new battery under the LSA as it has a new serial #.
Registration on line takes about 3 minutes.

Thanks!

I called again and got the right person this time.

They found me in their system and took care of me.

Within just a few days, I had my new, free replacement batteries!

I will say, the replacements for my original 18v batteries are a cheaper version that don’t have the same rubber armor that the OEM batteries have.

But, hopefully, lithium-ion battery technology has advanced a bit in the almost 9 years since I bought the original set. So maybe the runtimes of these will be a bit longer.

Back