rhodent - can I stir fry it

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a flying squirrel, I had a go with them last summer at my place in Montana. They are smart I'm surprised you keep getting them in a havahart. You can fill any holes you see with copper mesh and black foam it, or cover it with metal sheeting. They only need a couple inches to squeeze through. You'll see all this gear on a pest website.

Hate killing the little things but they can't be inside the place, destructive, but I guess better than pack rats. Everyone thought we had pack rats.........nope flying squirrels.

You can see the extra skin (white fir) behind their front legs. The ones in Montana seemed to have bigger eyes and were a little darker grey. I can send pictures if you want.

I now consider myself a semi pro in the world of flying squirrel hunting... What worked best for me was pecan paste and sunflower seeds in a rat trap...They are very territorial they don't like to give up a nice warm attic or crawl space.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk
That's a flying squirrel, I had a go with them last summer at my place in Montana. They are smart I'm surprised you keep getting them in a havahart. You can fill any holes you see with copper mesh and black foam it, or cover it with metal sheeting. They only need a couple inches to squeeze through. You'll see all this gear on a pest website.

Hate killing the little things but they can't be inside the place, destructive, but I guess better than pack rats. Everyone thought we had pack rats.........nope flying squirrels.

You can see the extra skin (white fir) behind their front legs. The ones in Montana seemed to have bigger eyes and were a little darker grey. I can send pictures if you want.

I now consider myself a semi pro in the world of flying squirrel hunting... What worked best for me was pecan paste and sunflower seeds in a rat trap...They are very territorial they don't like to give up a nice warm attic or crawl space.

That bait better than creamy peanut butter?
When I first moved in I caught 20 of them and on the way to work (10 miles away) I released them. Three or 4 made an escape attempt and Billy the cat was right there to get them.

This is the first one I have caught since March or April.

I have a big house, its a finished 3rd floor with small knee wall attic and its in the attic area that I find them. Hard to look everywhere for small holes.

Last edited:

The Flying Squirrel Whisperer!
grin.gif

I don't know about flying squirrels but the regular ones hate strobe lights. Supposedly the method is to attach a strobe to a motion sensor and they will leave and never come back. No killing required.

"Hey, Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit outa my hat!"

"Again?"

"Nuthin' up my sleeve [rrrrip!] -- Presto!"

[A rhinoceros head glares and growls at Bullwinkle from his top hat. Bullwinkle quickly stuffs it back in] "Don't know my own strength!"

Originally Posted By: Donald

That bait better than creamy peanut butter?
When I first moved in I caught 20 of them and on the way to work (10 miles away) I released them. Three or 4 made an escape attempt and Billy the cat was right there to get them.

This is the first one I have caught since March or April.

I have a big house, its a finished 3rd floor with small knee wall attic and its in the attic area that I find them. Hard to look everywhere for small holes.

If peanut butter is working, stick with it. I think they really like raw shelled sunflower seeds too, most rodents do. If you have some and they are ignoring the peanut butter go with the pecan paste and raw/shelled sunflower seeds. I also got some attractant that I think is pecan oil. I put a few drops around the trap. I've probably gotten 8 or 9 since last summer....

Get role of the copper mesh and squish it in any holes you find. I guess rodents hate the stuff and definitely won't chew through it.

Good luck, in the world of rodents they are tough, smart little frickers. Many people have lived their whole lives around them and never seen one. I think the Montana ones are a bit bigger and tougher than yours
smile.gif

Signed
The Flying Squirrel Whisperer/Hunter

Last edited:
Over time I will be replacing much of the cheap finger jointed trim on my home and will be in various places so I can look for holes.

In the summer do they live outside all the time and only enter the house in the fall?

Both but they like a nice dry place to have their babies in the spring (your attic). They then impint your attic and the young would also like to use your attic as a place to raise their little flying rodent babies...............

Don't like killing things unless I'm going to eat it.......except for some rodents, skunk and porcupines.

This is where I began my second job as a squirrel hunter:
http://www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page359.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back