Reverting to Older Version of Firefox

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
I want to revert Firefox back to the last version. The current and latest version 95.0.2 crashes when I try to do PDF prints of some website pages.

Firefox gives a .exe installation file that you download and execute to install the older version.

Question is, does doing this clobber any of the settings I already have in Firefox, or any of the Firefox extensions I'm using like Adblocker?

You should be fine as long as you don't remove the firefox Profile directory in your home directory.
Like, in Windows: C:\Users\spackard\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

You should be fine as long as you don't remove the firefox Profile directory in your home directory.
Like, in Windows: C:\Users\spackard\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles
The downloaded installation file is named "Firefox Setup 94.0.2.exe" ... so it's a setup file that does the installation and I have no idea what it does to my Firefox profile. Maybe it just does a full blown clean installation - ??.

Have you tried to figure out what's wrong with the pdf print, which pdf printer are you using, the microsoft print to pdf or the built in firefox save to pdf or some other? Maybe it's the website that's not allowing print to pdf you might have to save it as html or some other format to the computer first then print to pdf. Using an older version depending on why it was updated might leave open to some security issues that may have been patched up.

My 95.02 crashes constantly or says "Gah. Your tab just crashed" It seemed evident, don't know why they tell me that.

You might want to look at "Refresh Firefox", before you downgrade.

As to your original question:
If the profile is there it'll deal with it as an upgrade/downgrade, as long as it isn't a big step backward.
However, if something in your profile is causing FF to crash, then I'd think FF will still crash after the downgrade.

If you "rename" the profile, FF will think it's a fresh installation. It'll create a new subdirectory under Profile, create new databases, populate them with default settings. This path is what help people will tell you to take. If FF crashes after that then it's an issue FF needs to know about.

I am not sure, from a security standpoint, how wise it would be to revert to the last version of any browser.

If you want something more stable ("stable" meaning "doesn't change") you could always just use Firefox ESR (Extended Support Release)

Instead of updating every (6?) weeks these versions are supported for a much longer period of time. (Wore info - https://wiki.mozilla.org/Release_Management/Calendar - You can see that in essence every Nth release is deemed an ESR release and is supported until the next ESR relase).

Have you tried to figure out what's wrong with the pdf print, which pdf printer are you using, the microsoft print to pdf or the built in firefox save to pdf or some other? Maybe it's the website that's not allowing print to pdf you might have to save it as html or some other format to the computer first then print to pdf. Using an older version depending on why it was updated might leave open to some security issues that may have been patched up.
Firefox crashes using 3 different PDF printer options in the pull down print menu. If I try PDF printing the same exact webpage with the same PDF print options using MS Edge, it prints the PDF perfectly.

Also, I have the last Firefox version on a different computer and it PDF prints the same website, so pretty much points to the latest Firefox version is buggy with PDF printing.

Firefox crashes using 3 different PDF printer options in the pull down print menu. If I try PDF printing the same exact webpage with the same PDF print options using MS Edge, it prints the PDF perfectly.

Also, I have the last Firefox version on a different computer and it PDF prints the same website, so pretty much points to the latest Firefox version is buggy with PDF printing.
Which PDF printers do you use?

I use the default "Save to PDF" in FF 95.0.2 without any issues.

Which PDF printers do you use?

I use the default "Save to PDF" in FF 95.0.2 without any issues.
With "Save to PDF" It doesn't crash in all instances. But on the webpages it does, I can PDF print the same webpage with MS Edge or the last version of Firefox.

Why not just print with Edge until Firefox fixes their issue? Reverting to an old browser version eliminates any security updates you got with the current version. You can use the Open in MS Edge Browser plugin for Firefox for convenience.

Why not just print with Edge until Firefox fixes their issue? Reverting to an old browser version eliminates any security updates you got with the current version.
I'd only be going back one version, so doubt there is some major security issue difference. But yes, I'll probably just use MS Edge to do any PDF printing if Firefox blows up on it and wait to see if they fix it. They probably have a dozen crash reports just from me, lol.

I haven't had this happen yet and I'm using the same FF version
It seems to be on only certain websites, like some eBay listings for instance. Probably something funky with the code on that page that crashes Firefox when trying to PDF the page. But as mentioned, the version of FF just previous to the current one (95.0.2) does not crash FF. Nor does using the PDF printer in MS Edge ... so it's something in FF that has changed since the last version.

My FF crashes daily. Seems to work great on a fresh install of windows and then over time it gets crazy. Maybe time to reformat and install windows again. LOL

Back