Reverse osmosis, experience, opinions...

Due to vivarium setup I need distilled water, buying canisters is tiresome. And not very economic.
So I'm looking for cheap aquarium r-o or even a basic drinking setup with extra kitchen faucet.
Super hard water here....
Also household plants not very happy.
Would you go for r-o system? Or should I pick bigger system meant also for human consumption?
Personal experiences, opinions?
Thx

Your best bet is to submit a sample for testing and see what that company recommends. The size and type of equipment would vary based on the water results. Do the testing at 2 different places and compared the results and advice.

According to test stripes, chlorine very low. Kh,Dh high. Nitrates very low. Chalk deposit everywhere.
A mineral water without fizz. :)

I installed an undersink RO system (tankless due to size constraints). Does require power and some minor plumbing modifications. I had it installed during a kitchen renovation so the additional outlet install was nothing major in the grand scheme of things.

Waterdrop RO undersink

It honestly has been great and I doubt I will see a filter change for quite some time. It does waste water at a 1:1 ratio so be warned about that if you have a septic system or you want to conserve water. Coffee does not taste great with RO water and learned that drip coffee does require some minerals for taste - RO water coffee just tastes flat. Water alone tastes nice. Great for windshield washer concentrate dilution and guessing coolant mixing.

You can buy an RO setup for about $150.00 At that price I would try it. My brother in law uses one for his aquarium. BTW there is not a huge difference in performance with more expensive ones.

We are fortunate. In my area we have a dispenser place for 35 cents/gallon.
my RO cost is under 5cents /gallon.
City water but it smells like clorox and sometimes off color during late summer.

PPM around 350 summer 250 winter.
after RO around 25-40ppm

if you totally drain the 3gallon tank and refill its lower about 8-20ppm it will creep up abit topping off the pressure tank over weeks.

I have APEC system cost about $150 90 gallon/day rating which mostly depends on the water temp.. colder water takes longer.

The 4 gallon tank holds about 3 gallon of water and refills in under an hour even in winter.

I love the taste.. vs city water or even basic filtered water.

Probably average about 1000gal/year use between drinking and cooking.

It has the hydraulic pump that locks the wastewater to 1:1

I'm a coffee nut as many here know I roast my own coffee beans... so I dont understand why enthusiasts who spend so much on it use city or well water which is 99% of the coffee. Also you wont get scale buildup in your coffee maker with RO water

Last edited:
I always thought RO and distilled water weren’t the same thing.

I would use either hard or spring water on indoor plants. RO would be soft.

You can buy R-O systems that have a final step of running the R-O water thru a charcoal filter which gives the water a typical good taste

Z
Almost all have this.. you can also get 6th stage which is remineralizing filter.

My 5 stage goes Sediment>carbon>carbon>RO Membrane>tank>carbon>faucet.

(y)
carbon last seems good point

One more question, does it consume water when not in use (faucet off, tank full) ? i meant the waste water production.
i think going tankless, i dont need big amount at once. How long to fill cup of water ?

got it installed now, reply to my question--it should stop when tank full
set came with 4way valve and "300" restrictor. this is what i could not see in pictures.
22ppm out, 250 in. 330dump.
distilled water 6ppm
will see in about week.

Back