Reusing metal fence posts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got six metal fence posts that need to be redone. Has anyone broke away the old concrete from the existing pole to reuse? Or do I need to get new poles because it's a waste of time?

Thanks

Originally Posted by ARB1977
I've got six metal fence posts that need to be redone. Has anyone broke away the old concrete from the existing pole to reuse? Or do I need to get new poles because it's a waste of time?

Thanks

If the poles are out of the ground, hit the concrete with a sledge hammer a couple times and it comes right off.
Some of those older poles are nice and heavy gauge (not like the thin ones sold now) and if not totally rusted are perfect to reuse.

I'd follow what oldak2000 said. Are you sure they are concreted in? Up here they are just driven into the ground 2ft or more. Might be different down south though...

If you have to pay somebody to do it, then it will become expensive unless you can just get the daily labor type.
If it is DIY and have the tools, then it is probably very economical.
Of course, you need to price the new post and weigh that against putting the work to remove the post and hammering the concrete.

Getting them out of the ground will probably be the hard part. I have a 5' bar that I got from harbor freight that works great to break up concrete. Once it's out of the ground, you should be able to pound on the pole with a sledge and it will break up the concrete inside.

After you get the fence posts cleaned up use a fence post pile driver (basically a piece of capped on one end pipe with two handles) to pound in the fence posts. Using a sledge hammer will just beat up the fence posts.

You do not have to hit concrete with a sledge hammer. Just a use a claw hammer hit in the same spot same force as driving a nail., soon you see a crack form and then off it comes. Sledge can bend the pole. Concrete is funny that way. Post setting concrete i usually weak.

I had a big chert rock in the yard, about 250 lbs. Hit it with 2 lb hammer and pretty soon it split in two. Pieces were still too big to lift, so repeated until split into small enough pieces. .Took less than 15 minutes, not all sore like wailing away with a sledge hammer would have been.
Rod

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oldoak2000
Originally Posted by ARB1977

Thanks

If the poles are out of the ground, hit the concrete with a sledge hammer a couple times and it comes right off.
Some of those older poles are nice and heavy gauge (not like the thin ones sold now) and if not totally rusted are perfect to reuse.

That's what I thought. The poles are about 7 years old and were installed by another guy. I don't know how much concrete he used.

Be sure to use safety glasses chipping concrete. Also if you reuse them clean them up and repaint especially below ground since concrete is so acidic. Every little bit helps. And that's the easy time to do it.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'd follow what oldak2000 said. Are you sure they are concreted in? Up here they are just driven into the ground 2ft or more. Might be different down south though...

Gotta prepare for the worse, lol. I'm hoping there is much concrete.

Originally Posted by JMJNet
If you have to pay somebody to do it, then it will become expensive unless you can just get the daily labor type.
If it is DIY and have the tools, then it is probably very economical.
Of course, you need to price the new post and weigh that against putting the work to remove the post and hammering the concrete.

It's definitely going to be cheaper if I do it myself. Roughly 6 panels

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
You do not have to hit concrete with a sledge hammer. Just a use a claw hammer hit in the same spot same force as driving a nail., soon you see a crack form and then off it comes. Sledge can bend the pole. Concrete is funny that way. Post setting concrete i usually weak.

I had a big chert rock in the yard, about 250 lbs. Hit it with 2 lb hammer and pretty soon it split in two. Pieces were still too big to lift, so repeated until split into small enough pieces. .Took less than 15 minutes, not all sore like wailing away with a sledge hammer would have been.
Rod

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back