retractable air hose reel recommendations

I have a 25+ year old Craftsman air hose reel that quit locking when the hose is extended. I'm too lazy to pull it apart to see what's broke or worn out and just want to replace it. It's also has a very large plastic enclosure that takes up quite a bit of wall space and a older hose that turns rock hard in the winter. I'm looking for something retractable, comes with a decent all weather hose, more compact than what I have and at a reasonable/modest price (sorry Cox is not an option....looking for best bang for the fewest bucks). I only use it 2 or three times a month so a super duper top notch durability one (while desired if priced right :) ) is not a key criterion. Thanks.

I've been happy with my flexzilla. Light use only.. but IIRC about 10 years now.

I have heard blubird is good.

I have a Campbell Hausfeld that is 15 years old now and it still works great. The ratchet works excellent, rollers are all good, no leaks. It is all metal, I do see some new CH ones are plastic and I don't know how good / bad those are.

I have the HF one and it has been great for 10 years... The HF hose was a bit stiff but not horrible, bit I use a Goodyear hose, The reel has been fine.

Years ago I got several Cox on Warehouse Deals. Never have had time to mount them. Point is, deals can be had.

I've never trusted inexpensive Chinesium self-retracting units. We had some in school that died an early death (but yeah, students) and then we were literally tying hoses to lathes so they'd stay out.

Since ~2003 I've had some of the HF fully manual reels. Very little to go wrong except an o-ring which is readily accessible with snap ring pliers (I've replaced several times, starts leaking).

They're not glamorous but so simple they almost can't fail.

Downside: you must be able to reach it to roll the hose up.

FWIW

edit: I put Flexzilla on one. Flexzilla really doesn't like hot works, even just sparks from a grinder can melt it. But easy to handle and I like it overall

Back