Retired

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, its official. After 23 years, I hung up the badge and gun today. Feels kinda weird that I'm not going to wake up as a cop anymore. Won't really NOT be a cop anymore, its kinda hard to shake a lifestyle thats been ingrained into me for half the time I've been on earth. Sort of like being a doctor or such. Even when you're "off-duty", you're still whatever you are. Anyway, feels pretty good, I had a great career. Got to meet and work with some of the finest folks in the world, hope I made a positive impact. Also saw and did some of the craziest things too. Guess I'll have to wait for the staute of limitations to run out before I can tell some "war stories"
grin.gif

Now its onto some different things. Moving to Greenville SC and will be taking a job with a certain large European based auto manufacturer nearby. Once I get settled there, I'll divulge the details.

Congratulations. Even though we've never met I'm happy for you because you survived. A little sad though cause the thin blue line just got a litle thinner. Enjoy your new life.

PS.Can I have your avatar?
wink.gif

It's a shame the police-type people have to continuously deal with the dregs of society, and the same old bunch time-after-time.

It must also be tough dealing with all the bleating sheep with no training in anything outside their job. Little to no ability to handle an extreme situation. Fluttering around like an idiot just getting in the way, making things worse.

Forgive me, I was trained, not raised, from an early age by an ex-cop, ex-Marine, ex-firefighter then hazards control for the old Atomic Energy Commission. Taught to handle a wide variety of situations and keep my cool while doing so.

From what I have seen, the typical human has not been trained.

Easy to understand how certain professions tend to, tend to look down their noses at the bleating sheep around them.

Dad's garage was an occasional meeting place for cops, firemen and California Highway Patrol to gather for coffee and talk shop. Heard some interesting tales.

Hey!!!!!! Here's a good one and it's about the firemen messing up, not the typical story about the too-common idiotic civilians:

Winter. Late at night, a foggy still night with nary a soul out or about. Quiet as a tomb in the town of Livermore California.

The silence was disturbed by the phone shouting "answer me!!!!" The call taker took down the info and activated the alarm, sending the firemen (only men back then) on their way.... save the guy with the apparent heart attack.

Rushing as fast as the dense fog would allow, our intrepid fellows reached the house and ran to the door with their equipment and knocked hard to gain admittance. Repeated knocking and no answer.

Running to the window close by, whose drapes were open, revealing the lit interior, a fireman shouted, "He's unconscious on the couch!!!!!"

A speedy decision led to muscular bodies slamming past the lock, forcing the door open. Rushing over the forced-oxygen device was slapped over mouth and nose. The man with the blood pressure cuff began applying that device. Another started checking for a pulse.

The guy must have been a very sound sleeper for when he awoke it was with those devices in place and several faces in close proximity.

Eeeeeeek!!!!!!!!

Then, as the firemen and the "victim" wondered what the heck was going on the battalion chief ran in shouting...."What the heck are you doing here? The victim is in the house one block over!!!!!!"

Our intrepid crew detached the gear and off they went, returning the next day to replace the door and fixtures destroyed by their entrance.

Despite the passage of around 39 years and with all present that night retired from the force, that fire department is still reminded from time-to-time of their boo boo.

At least it was a happy ending. The real victim was assisted and lived.

Oh, happy "retirement"!!!!!!!

At least it will be a change of pace and assuredly less responsibility and having much less interaction with society's scum.

Last edited:
Congrats, only thing is, your not retired, just changing jobs. Moving up, I hope...

When your really retired, the first thing you notice is, you don't have to be anywhere. Was the weirdest feeling when I retired. Took a couple of weeks to understand that no alarm clock, no rush hour traffic, no missed schedules, no monday morning meetings, no Sunday 2AM mainframe shutdown for PM, no 10 hour days, no 6 day work weeks.
You ever watch a spinning top? As it slows down it starts to wobble and finally tips over. When I retired I was about to tip over.

Sorry Shortyb, it's not about me. All the best to you and yours. Have fun, live long and prosper..

Quote:

Moving to Greenville SC and will be taking a job with a certain large European based auto manufacturer nearby.

So now you'll be getting your pension check, a new pay check from BMW and eventually a Social Security check. Life doesn't get any better than that.
smile.gif

Shorty, congrats on the big changes.

Mum and Dad were up the last couple days.

I discovered, to my horror that my Mum now listens to the 9AM news, while still under the doona, 7 days a week.

Congrats to all of you.

LUCKY!!! Way to go. From a cop to BMW? Oh please do tell!!

I quit counting the days. Gets depressing - not that I don't like the job but man I need some loafing time. I guess the good thing about being a cop is bailing early. Gotta love that. In my idealistic youth, this just wasn't concern.

Anyway - you made it!!!
cool.gif

Let me know if you want to sell Amsoil on the side
grin.gif
patriot.gif

Quote:

Good luck with your new life!

It's so strange for a "young" man like me (27 y/o) to hear everyone talking about retirement!

At 27 you should have your personal plan for retirement in place. if you're not putting 10 to 15% of your gross income into solid long term investments you are missing a golden opportunity. Early retirement investments produce a lot more than late retirement investment.

If you have plans like our IRAs or 401k or 403g plans in the GWN, get into one of those.
patriot.gif
canada.gif

I actually started thinking about retirement before your age. My mistake was thinking 6% or 8% in the 401K was enough, because we were getting "matching" - I believed "them". Well it's not...I mean at least for early retirement. 15-20% is the way to go. My other mistake was hanging with the manufacturing sector, when the manufacturing base was disappearing in the USA faster than the roast beef at the Atkins table during an overeater's convention. So choose your path wisely and save like a maniac. I save 18% right now, so I'm doing OK. The scary thing is, I'm WAY ahead of the average in retirement savings for my peer group......yikes
banana.gif
dunno.gif
canada.gif
patriot.gif

Quote:

At 27 you should have your personal plan for retirement in place. if you're not putting 10 to 15% of your gross income into solid long term investments you are missing a golden opportunity. Early retirement investments produce a lot more than late retirement investment.

If you have plans like our IRAs or 401k or 403g plans in the GWN, get into one of those.
patriot.gif
canada.gif

offtopic.gif

I'm still paying my college debt and planning to return to school part-time. There's unfortunately no more money left for retirement. Maybe next year I'll be probably free of debt and will have money for investment.
cheers.gif

Stay safe, brother. Ever feel the need to ride, I'm just a few hours away. Bring your sidearm, never know what adventures we may find. BMW just got a little better!
www.k9cisco.com

Quote:

Well, its official. After 23 years, I hung up the badge and gun today. Feels kinda weird that I'm not going to wake up as a cop anymore. Won't really NOT be a cop anymore, its kinda hard to shake a lifestyle thats been ingrained into me for half the time I've been on earth. Sort of like being a doctor or such. Even when you're "off-duty", you're still whatever you are. Anyway, feels pretty good, I had a great career. Got to meet and work with some of the finest folks in the world, hope I made a positive impact. Also saw and did some of the craziest things too. Guess I'll have to wait for the staute of limitations to run out before I can tell some "war stories"
grin.gif

Now its onto some different things. Moving to Greenville SC and will be taking a job with a certain large European based auto manufacturer nearby. Once I get settled there, I'll divulge the details.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

Thank you for your years of service. Probably underpaid, but not unappreciated. Not here.

Best of luck.

In my opinion, the best paid people in America should be policemen, firemen, and teachers. Lost my sister in an apartment fire 5 years ago. Not from lack of trying or experience from the firemen and policemen, just a bad situation. I have a new respect for the men and women who put their lives on the line every day.

Congrats and welcome to SC! At least you're not moving the to "armpit" of South Carolina. Watch out for the westside of Greenville!

Welcome to the club Shortyb! i've been out almost a year and still can't believe i don't have to go to work. Could have stayed longer but it wasn't fun anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back