Residential Garage Doors & Openers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone have any experience with residential garage doors and openers? We are looking at purchasing two: 18'x8' and a 10'x8'. All 3 are insulated with polyurethane with double steel skin. I have narrowed the choices to:

1) Raynor Innovation Series Affina has pinch proof sections so it's a little bit different. It has an R-18 value and uses 24-gauge skins. It has a lifetime warranty on door sections, hardware/springs. White powder coated hardware is standard. Nylon rollers are standard. Affina Brochure

2) C.H.I. model 2216 has an R-14 value and uses 26-gauge exterior and 24-gauge interior skins. It has a lifetime warranty on section rust through and 3-year on everything else. It also has an option for white powder coated hardware. Would this be worthwhile. You can get nylon, 10 ball steel or upgrade to 10 ball nylon rollers. Which would you recommend?

Both of the above would be with a Chamberlain LiftMaster model 3850 1/2 HP DC motor belt drive with batter backup.

3) Overhead Door Thermacore 390 with 1/2 HP screw drive opener. It has an R-17.5 rating. It has a lifetime warranty on the drive, section rust-through; 1-year on the rest.

Both openers would come with a wireless control panel, wireless keyless entry with security and mini 3-button remote control.

What are the pros and cons of belt vs. screw vs. chain? What do you have and do you like it or what would you buy if you had it to do over again?

All I can say is that last summer a friend of mine who owns a business installing garage doors and openers installed two openers for me last summer and said that the chain drive is the best, all things considered. And he recommended the Chamberlain, which I got for a good price on sale at Home Depot.

+1 for Chamberlain.

I have a model #2280R belt drive for my 16'x8' door; very quiet, no issues with the belt (although it's only two years old).

I installed a Chamberlain (from Costco) this summer. My old one get hit by lightning. I can't remember the model#, but it's a screw drive. It's very quiet. It came with everything I wanted: 2 car remotes, lighted wall switch, keyless entry. I installed it myself. I can't speek to it's longevity, but it works great thus far.

By all means go with the nylon rollers-much quieter than metal. Make sure the springs are the torsion style spring-the extension style are really noisy.

Last summer I replaced our extension springs with a torsion spring, and replaced the original metal rollers with nylon. The difference is amazing-the only noise you hear is the slight hum of the Chamberlin door opener. The door and spring are now nearly silent when it opens.

Before the expansion springs and rollers were replaced you could hear the garage door open from inside the house very clearly. Now you can't hear it at all from in the house.

On the C.H.I., I was thinking about going with the 10 ball steel b/c I was worried about the life of a plastic roller. What say ye?
dunno.gif

Yes, I had made sure that all the door options will come with torsion style springs even though I failed to mention it above. Good point.

What type drive is your Chamberlain?
What mfg is your door?

I did look at that, but I imagine it's more expensive and there is plenty of room in the 3-car garage. It also hasn't been out but 2-3 years so I'm leary of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back