Replacing FORD Battery cable clamps 2002 Ranger OE Style

Anyone had any success locating OE style terminal clamps for these?

Please don't say just get a military/marine/box store bolt on clamp, I know those are options but I want this to look OE. I've already shadetreed it together for the time being, but I want to fix it correctly.

The cable assembly:
Cable Assembly
1L5Z14300HA
Ranger. 3.0l. With ac.

Shows discontinued on the popular OE Ford parts sites. I've been unable to find part numbers for the clamps alone and any not sure they are supplied or not.

These clamps have a captive bolt and the nut swaged into the clamp itself and the tighten completely closed unlike similar universal parts from Dorman/Super Start ECT...

Here is a picture of the negative for reference: (and no, this battery is not the one that was leaking acid messing them up, we have a megatron to thank for that.)

D37BA042-5652-4D25-84A7-B7B92359D503.jpeg

Ford, or Mazda with the B-series, does not sell the terminals by themselves. We have used these before and they were similar. I actually have a set to use on our 04 B2300 parts truck.

Thanks bdcardinal, I supposed that might be the case with regard to the clamps separately.

I used that exact one to get it where it would start without wiggling the cable by cutting the extra lug off or it and using a longer bolt to clamp the original cable to it. Its not pretty but it works. It doesn't close as tightly as the OE.

I have no idea on shipping cost, but here is another suggestion.

Thank You: That looks promising.

I think you could possibly use a scooby terminal.

Thanks Trav - Also looks promising.

They should not be closed completely that would mean there is no clamping force on the terminal.

Back the bolt out so you can push it all the way down onto the battery post, then tighten.

You're missing the concept of how it works. If the two sides of metal are touching like in the picture, that means it is not properly attached and likely to be a bad connection.

No I really am not. I can pick the entire battery up with that cable, it’s plenty tight and it’s a fine connection. It’s not the one that’s the issue btw.

None of that has anything to do with my actual question though.

Ford, or Mazda with the B-series, does not sell the terminals by themselves. We have used these before and they were similar. I actually have a set to use on our 04 B2300 parts truck.
If I was caring about OE look, I’d probably get those, cut off the big bolt, and use an eye terminal properly crimped and shrink wrapped, right into the bolt that causes the ring to sandwich on the battery terminal.

If I was caring about OE look, I’d probably get those, cut off the big bolt, and use an eye terminal properly crimped and shrink wrapped, right into the bolt that causes the ring to sandwich on the battery terminal.
I got these because one of the cables, I forget which one right now, had a science experiment going on. I probably have to cut some off and there isn't much slack on the cable. This would give me just a bit more length.

They have these quick release style at parts stores that are close enough and cheap.

8B614215-B7FC-4C4A-B7E2-6C31918F3E83.jpeg

Yes, those are basically the same thing bdcardinal posted with different clamp hardware, they also come with some crimp on ring terminals.

That is pretty much what I did to get it going. Somewhat less elegant, but close.

58B401F9-49A5-45B2-9C1B-0C1AB83FC20D.jpeg

I got these because one of the cables, I forget which one right now, had a science experiment going on. I probably have to cut some off and there isn't much slack on the cable. This would give me just a bit more length.

That is very true, if you had to cut very much at all off, it would be too short.

Let me know what you end up going with and how they work. I just bought another Mazda truck today to go with my other one and the battery cables and terminals look iffy at

Apparently some Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep use these:

819Wu8KcswL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

And some GM these:

81ptWBCwpjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
So, small update.

My favorite online Ford parts supplier says the cable assy for my truck by VIN is actually available and it pretty economical so it is on order.

I will likely still fix the old one for a spare...

Back