replacing blower motor on civic....need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, trying to do this myself tonight and i got the old motor out fine but now im having trouble getting the fan off of the old motor. is there a trick to it or what....?

A couple of years ago I replaced the blower on a friend's 98 Civic. Don't know if yours is the same but I just tapped the end of the motor shaft lightly with a hammer and the fan slipped off pretty easily. It ruined the old motor in the process though...

got the fan off and put it on the new motor, one more prob though, the new motor i got doesnt have a plug in like the old, can i just cut the ends of the wires and wrap them together with electrical tape?

You can but, being a little retentive, I would solder the connections and shrink wrap them. Some of the fans will draw 30 plus amps on inrush and may arc if not properly secured.

Sounds like the wrong motor to me, since it does not have the correct plug. I would rather have the correct one than mickey mouse the current one.

Mine had a plug included in the box that you attached to the wires. The reason was to determine which direction you needed the motor to spin and that would decide which side of the plug the wires were connected to.

Is there a little stamped sheet metal retaining doohickey or c-clip? That can be molested with a screwdriver.

Does the new motor have any hardware in little baggies in the box?

yes the one I put on my friend's car also had a molex connector I had to put on the wires to match the wire connector in her car. It worked fine though.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
oh, or wire nuts.

31.gif

Now that I remember it, the molex connector was pretty flimsy. I remember using butt connectors on the motor wires. Do it which ever way suits you best but don't use wire nuts.

The plastic squirrel cage welds itself to the metal axle of the motor.
This is common.
You could try a hair dryer or a carefully applied heat gun. This can soften the plastic enough to carefully work it off.
Of course, any clip must be removed first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back