Replacing AC Compressor and Pag Oil

I am replacing the AC compressor and accumulator on my 2004 Yukon with rear AC. I blew compressed air through the lines to remove any debris but did not use a solvent. The book calls for 11oz of PAG oil to be added. Should I add less than that since I didn’t replace the condenser and no oil came out of the lines when I blew them out l?

Someone smarter than me will chime in, but if your compressor blew up then you should replace the condenser and the drier. Last compressor I changed was on a CRV and I was able to find a Honda chart that specified how much oil you should add for each component being replaced, so maybe something along those lines exist for your Yukon.

Sounds like 11oz is the total system capacity, so yes, you should add less when replacing only certain components. You should probably access an FSM for your vehicle to determine how much to add, as each component will contain residual amounts of oil. I don't know GM products, but as an example here's how to determine the amount of oil for a Chrysler minivan:

1679776904404.jpg

1679776922154.jpg

1679776950987.jpg

This information should be accessible online or an a GMC forum.

UPDATE: Recharged the system with 48oz of R134a and she's working great. At idle, the AC is just cool, but when the bus is rolling down the road she's blowing snow.

Back