Replace the A/C Compressor or just the O-rings?

We have a 2003 LeSabre and last year replaced both the condenser and a/c manifold because of leaks. I drove to my mechanic this morning (who I only use for bigger jobs) and using the uv light, he noticed leaks at the compressor. He suggested replacing the entire compressor but I'm wondering if I should just try replacing the rings since it apparently is a common point for leaks. I guess the hesitation is that if it's not just the rings, then I've in a sense wasted the money for a recharge (the refrigerant is currently depleted). By the way, the clutch spins freely when I manually spin it so that makes me wonder if the compressor still has life. But also, we lost a/c relatively quickly....basically just felt the air warming over maybe 2 or 3 days and not weeks. Man, I just can't decide what to do...any recommendations based on all that?

You have a V5 compressor. The front shaft seal can leak, though this compressor had a very good double lip seal new. The body o-ring(s) leak due to the bare compressor body corroding and the corrosion creeping under the sealing surface. Some people have good luck splitting halves and sanding the surface smooth again. I replace front seals myself (the wonderful double lip seal can be retrofitted in most GM compressors back through 1962), but I would be very hesitant if the external surface of the compressor is corroded (at all). You can still buy quality replacement compressor.
This didn't happen nearly as much when GM painted all the compressors black.

If you just replace the o-rings when pulling the vacuum you going to find out it it holds vacuum or not.

No need to add gas if the you are not holding vaccuum.

19 year old compressor and not change it foolish it only runs for ac and defrost. Pay $$$ to replace o rings? If the old compressor scrambles then new condenser, accumulator, metering devise and flushing the system + the compressor.

Back