Replace Steering Rack or Not?

That explains a lot. I suspect they didn't want to fool with getting a check cut and sending a driver out when they could just give a PO# and have the part delivered.

Glad to hear GMEPP will allow you to purchase the OE rack and get reimbursed.
With Ford ESP, or whatever they call it now, if a part is on backorder we can do a critical order from Ford like we would under regular warranty. But they will not pay to buyout from another dealer unless we get the Pope involved. I don't know about GM, but the back orders with Ford are so bad that I have given up calling other dealers for parts unless it is one of the local ones that I am friends with the managers.

With Ford ESP, or whatever they call it now, if a part is on backorder we can do a critical order from Ford like we would under regular warranty. But they will not pay to buyout from another dealer unless we get the Pope involved. I don't know about GM, but the back orders with Ford are so bad that I have given up calling other dealers for parts unless it is one of the local ones that I am friends with the managers.
Thankfully our backorder situation has eased up a little. It was horrible in the spring. GM never got back up to speed from the strikes, then "the thing" happened.

Just an update here.

I picked up the steering rack two weeks ago on Saturday and gave it to my local dealership on Monday Morning. I was hoping it would be done before last Wednesday's snowstorm, but it took them 5 days and I got the car back on Friday afternoon.

So far so good! The steering feels a little smoother than it did before, but maybe I'm just imagining it. The car also drives and steers as it did before. So at least the dealership didn't screw anything up installing it.

I'll have to return the old steering rack to the other dealer to get the core charge back.

Actually. I take it back. They did screw something up and I’m furious.

Before I took the car to the dealer, I took pictures of the engine bay where the VC is in case they damaged something. I also wanted a reference for the wires Incase they were routed improperly.

Today I take a closer look and see that my high pressure AC line by the VC is bent way out of shape. I’m. Furious.

Ive watched so many videos about replacing the VC gaskets and NONE of them involve messing around with the AC lines. I don’t want to bend them back in place because then they could crack.

I called the dealer and they said to bring it in....I’ll see what they have to say

Attachments

• EE0B89F4-54DA-4AAD-9785-A4FD95952D5B.jpeg
    EE0B89F4-54DA-4AAD-9785-A4FD95952D5B.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 16
  • 14FA4BCD-020A-47C3-A4A2-977005044117.jpeg
    14FA4BCD-020A-47C3-A4A2-977005044117.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 15
Parts availability aside... doesn't anyone else find this callback very, very strange?

I had a leaking steering rack before, that never once dripped on the floor. It had about 2 years worth of dust, dirt, and sand caked to it, that was slowly absorbing all of the leaking fluid before it could drip off and onto the floor. It could be legit...

If it isn't legit... it can't be much worse than the Chevy dealer dropping my ex-girlfriend's 3/4 ton Silverado off of the lift while replacing a water pump under warranty, then calling her and telling her that they'll need to keep her truck for another week or so, and to just keep driving their service loaner for free. Nothing to worry about....

She hung up the phone and was at the dealership within about 15 minutes, demanding to know what had happened. And yes, the dealership handled it as poorly as possible... and were promptly sued and lost.

Back