Replace one rotor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
On our 04 Escape with 78k on the odo I'm guessing has had the brake pads replaced at one point. We got with 32K or 36K so it must of been done just before we bought it. If you know Escapes they tend to have soft rotors. The brake pads I'm guessing has 50-60% maybe more left.
There's the problem,it's a Ford! j/k

First I would find out why one is wore more than the other. After finding out why I would only replace that side unless the other side mics out down on bottom and then I'd do just because I would be changing the pads. Generally I will replace both of the pads, but a couple of times I have only replaced the one side. Partially because I knew what pads were already on there so I knew I wouldn't be getting different braking, but also because I wanted to make sure I had found the problem for sure. I'm sure it isn't per the manual, but on the other hand it hasn't been a problem yet.

Why one is bad and not the other the reason I can think of is a weaker metal in that one rotor, I've seen stranger things in my short years. It does has a ton of rust and the fins are thin. The drivers side has little rust fins look normal. If I put it in neutral and jack her up I can spin that tire easily.

I'll look into getting a micrometer, never thought of it. The only reason I'm a little itchy about it is the wife is the primary driver of the vehicle. She makes a trip to OK/AK on a regular basis and I don't want to her to break down with the boy in the middle of nowhere. I have been accused of being a worry wart before.. but then again I've never been stranded before so maybe it pays off.

Maybe one rotor was replaced under warranty or the PO did something like have a wheel fall off
15.gif
wrecking one rotor. Or maybe one side is an autozone special that's wearing out quicker than the other from the dealer. (Though I believe they all come from the same foundry.) I'd start over with two identical rotors so you could keep tabs on things.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Originally Posted By: Zaedock
Not a very good mechanic. Always replace or cut rotors/drums in pairs. Anything else is butch.

I'm so glad to hear that you're familiar with my neighbor.

How long have you known Denny? I didn't realize he knew anyone in Massachusetts.

Well, I know enough from your post that if Denny is only going to replace one rotor, then Denny isn't a very good mechanic. Rotors and drums should be cut or replaced in PAIRS. Period.
06.gif

Replacing one side can result in uneven braking and potentially cause a dangerous condition.

Do you have a state mandated safety inspection in Kansas? Here in PA, we have to take our cars in once a year and they check pretty much everything safety related. Steering, suspension, brakes, etc. They will mic the rotors and check the thickness.

If you don't have one, you can always pull the rotor off, take it to an auto parts store that has a machine shop (or any place that turns rotors) and they will measure it for you. They won't cut it below the manufacturer's specs.

It's always best to replace the pair. But many people will only replace what's bad. People pinch pennies in bad times, and as a result there are probably more unsafe cars on the road now than ever before.

AD

If the passenger side rotor thickness is not below minimum you can try swapping Passenger Driver, and monitor the passenger side after swapped to see if they thin out faster then it was on driver side before swapped.

I know what is right by the book and by experience.
But your thin rotor is causing no problems .
Keep an eye on it for now, and start getting your best prices on 2 new rotors and the best pads that you can afford.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Am I still the only person who thinks that the OP should LEAVE IT ALONE?

If the pads are wearing acceptably on the rotor in question, then there's no reason for him to take any action unless the pads were improperly installed in the beginning.

I with you, Critic. As long as pads are wearing the same on both sides, I'd leave it alone until it needs new pads again (and then replace the rotors in pairs).

Eh I probably leave it alone for now. The wife has me doing so many house projects no time to mess with it. I bleed my Ranger brakes yesterday and with 32k it's down to less than 1/2 on the brake pads and it's a manual. I would of though it would of been opposite comparing the two. Maybe the ranger doesn't have metallic's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back