Replace caliper guide pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The inboard front pads on my 99 Buick LeSabre are worn twice as far as the outboard pads. A little birdie told me to replace the caliper guide pins when the pads get replaced if the inboard pad is worn down a lot. I lubed the snot out of those pins when I did calipers, pads, and rotors a year ago.

The pads are getting a bit thin, but still have some life left. I'm planning on doing pads only at the end of the summer, as the rotors are still plenty beefy.

So should I replace the guide pins next time I do pads based on the abnormal wear?

Yup! Think about how many times you've pressed on that pedal in 10 years ... If the pins bind you'll nuke the pad and the brake can pull, big not good
my2c
Jorge

If the guide pins don't show signs of wear like scoring or pitting, I would not replace them. The guide pins on my '96 are 13 years and 180k miles old, and they are just fine.

You may want to replace the pin guides (plastic or rubber bushing -- if applicable), though, as they tend to wear out. Once those bushings don't seal, abrasive dirt and moisture will find its way onto the guide pins. I would also suggest to not use a large amount of lube there, as only a thin layer of brake lube is needed.

The calipers with the pin guides were new a year ago.

I don't know, I'll look at them when it's apart. Getting the parts beforehand and returning them if they do not need it is possible, too.

Is the difference much greater than when new? One pad is often much thicker than the other when new. The squealer will be on the thinner one.

The pads were even when they were new.

At least both inboard pads are worn about the same. That's reassuring.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
The calipers with the pin guides were new a year ago.

I don't know, I'll look at them when it's apart. Getting the parts beforehand and returning them if they do not need it is possible, too.

If the calipers are only a year old, wouldn't they still be under warranty?

Probably. But the store is across town and I'd not have a car to drive to get new calipers. And the rubber pin guides in the calipers is currently resting on the 10 year old guide pins. So there is some wordplay that might be confusing.

New pins would be $15 for both sides locally.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
As my car gets older, I'm having to lube the pins more and more often. The boots don't seal well with all the rust.

What's rusting?

Originally Posted By: ET16
Is the surface on the guide pins smooth?

I'm not sure at all. I do recall lubing the living daylights out of one set because they didn't want to slide easily from very far out on the pin. Not sure if they would encounter such extremes normally.

Clean the pins and inspect them.
You can polish or dress minor pitting away.
New pins are about $6 each caliper.
Clean the bore out - maybe Scotchbrite on a drill - whatever.
New boots are cheap -about $6 for both sides.

Get as much grease in there as you can - don't be stingy. Lube the innards of the bore, and the outside of the pin, . Plenty in the end seals.
Never a problem from too much lube, only from too little.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
snip
Clean the bore out - maybe Scotchbrite on a drill - whatever.
New boots are cheap -about $6 for both sides. snip

I used a brake hone last year on my Cavalier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back